Re: [IRCA] Masset DXpedition loggings Jan 5 - 15th Part I-II

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 07:49:46 +0000
From: Walter Salmaniw <canswl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] Masset DXpedition loggings Jan 5 - 15th Part II

693 CHINA unid, Jan 13 1600 - Chinese language speaker, at good level with
FM frequencies being announced.  I wonder abut Shaanxi Weixing guangbo.
200 kW listed in Xianyang. I'll need to double check. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

I would have expected 300kw Tokyo on 693, but I suppose 100kw Shaanxi if it was indeed Chinese. You seem to have some very far inland stations, so it would make sense.

729 VIETNAM Dong Hoi 200 kW Da Tieng noi Viet Nam (VoV 2), Jan 13 1559 -
Pretty certain this is who I heard around 15:50 UTC.  In the clear and
fairly strong with a language I strongly suspect is Vietnamese.  Gradually
faded and cochannels JOCK (Nagoya 50 kW with NHK 1 programming) and less
commonly Pyongyang Bangsong  in North Korea (Samo with 50 kW and //3250)
was also heard. But according to PAL, they state that N Korea is no longer
on this frequency.   Unfortunately SW // was off the air from15:00 on
5925.   Rechecking around 16:05, there's an English lesson here.  That
might help with the ID.  Program seemed to have finished at 16:14 leaving
dead air.  Yes, that has to be them, as I note in PAL that, 'English
lessons have been noted at 1600 UTC'.  Should be quit certain, then!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

Yes, 729 Pyonggang has gone off the air. If it was there, that's unique. I'm not hearing it right now at all, only a sports game from Japan. And if it were to turn back on, the Hwaseong jammer would turn back on at the same time. English lessons are NHK 2 (educational) typically, which turns off early. There are no such language lessons on NHK 1 (news/talk and classical) and at the hour you were listening, they're on air with Radio Midnight, certainly not educational programming.

774 CHINA unid, Jan 13 1732 - Time pips at 17:30, then announcing FM
frequencies, but faded into cochannel music. Pretty clearly heard, so will
post for expert opinion. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

774 is 104.6 Voice of Hubei, 200kw. If you have a recording, just send it along and I can confirm very easily.

972 CHINA unid, Jan 8 1720 - A Chinese speaker totally dominating the
channel. HLCA was not even audible for a time, before coming back to about
equal strength.  PAL lists 3 stations, but 1 is only 1 kW, the other
(Harbin) is supposed to be off at 15:00, while the 3rd 100 kW station has
no programming details (Henan RGD, Zhengzhou).  Interesting!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

This is Henan Economic Radio, 100kw, more so if you were hearing it in echoes.

1188 UNID Unid, Jan 14 1634 - An interesting channel.  Not Chinese so who?
Checked PAL for possibilities. Sounding very South Asian, so I wonder abot
CRI from Xuanwei listed in Hindi with 300 kW from Xuanwei.  I could hope
for India direct from Mumbai with 50 kW.  Note the SW frequency is not
correct!  PAL lists // 10330.  Not used for a long time.  Definite Indian
music noted at 16:42 cochannel with more usual JOKP from Kitami, Hokkaido,
but the Hindi sounding station is dominating!  Unfortunately, by 17:00 it
was all JOKP, with only a weak cochannel, so nothing noted at the TOH.
Someone faded up by 17:01, but does not sound Hindi.  Of course, CRI Hindi
should have ended at 16:57.  I didn't think the format fitted CRI, though.
Addendum:   I will seek some guidance here.  On listening to the clip
again, I no longer think this is 'Hindi sounding', but rather more a play
or opera (sleep deprivation this morning!!), so I'm suspecting that it's
only FEBC in Seoul (HLKX). (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

This would be Voice of America in Incheon if it were indeed Korean, though Korean and Hindi (CRI) are drastically different sounding. Again, a clip would solve this in a hurry.

-Chris Kadlec
Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide
http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/seoul