From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Rick Dau <drummer1965us@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 6, 2017 10:56 PM
To: ABDX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] RIP DX Tests (was: Re: Rackley on Synchronous AM Boosters)

Sorry, DXers of the world, but it's high time that DX tests be done away with....

Back in the day, some unscrupulous participants in the hobby made it a practice of waiting about 2-3 weeks after tests were conducted, looking through the pages of DX News, DX Monitor, and other print publications, jotting down the details of what OTHERS were hearing, then sending their own faux reports based from those details off to the testing stations.  Very often, engineers would happily mail back QSLs to the offenders, totally unaware of what was going on.  Fortunately, a select few DID get wise to the shenanigans being perpetrated and then began conducting tests with the caveat that reports had to be mailed within a scant few days (say, within a week or so) after the test, or they would simply not reply to the report.  This was, in effect, to curtail the cheating.

But with the progress of technology comes a downside.  Through reflectors such as these, along with message boards, DX chatrooms (WHEN they work), and other means of instant communication, the cheaters are once again seeing the information that others are posting without making their OWN efforts to hear the stations.   DX tests were fun while they lasted, but, IMHO, they need to be put down.

73,

Rick Dau

South Omaha, Nebraska