[IRCA] NIF contours

David: You must be kidding when you call an 8 mV/m NIF terrible. In the
overall scheme of things on AM in the US, 8 mV/m is quite low. The highest
I've seen is WADK Newport RI. If/when it gets its night facilities on the
air, WADK's NIF will be 95 mV/m. Hmmm, maybe there is something that
connects high NIFs with CoLs named Newport in New England. WNTK Newport NH
will have an NIF of 75 mV/m if and when its application for 2 kW-N is
granted and built. The third highest NIF I've seen is for the 1070 station
in Greenville NC. (I don't recall the calls but the station has just been
granted 50 kW-D; it has been 10 kW-U for ages. The NIF there is
52.<something> mV/m.) WXKS (AM) Everett MA is 42.<something>. WROL
(currently Boston but with an application to change CoL to Revere) will have
an NIF of 37.5 mV/m if its application for 5 kW-N is granted and built.

The lowest NIF I've seen for any US Class B AM was in the low 2s (2.21 if
memory serves) for a very old station in South Dakota (can't recall which
one, maybe 1380 in Rapid City, KOTA?). WTMJ is also in the 2s, but above
2.5--even using 50% exclusion, IIRC. Some stations in California that are
considered prime facilities are in the 8s. If/when KTRB finally relocates to
San Francisco, its NIF will be 8.6 mV/m, I believe.

In fact, when George Storer struck his deal with KSWS, didn't the pattern he
had designed for the Roswell station provide protection for the night
operation of the LA station that has since become KTNQ? The whole deal that
upgraded KSWS to 50 kW at night was about allowing the LA station to operate
unlimited time. Storer had fought for that for decades. I can easily believe
that the result was an 8+ mV/m NIF for LA. And I bet that with the good soil
conductivity in the LA basin, that 8+ mV/m contour covers more than 80% of
LA's 465 square miles.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367