[IRCA] Kinstar MW Antennas Now Much Easier To Get FCC Approval

[IRCA] Kinstar MW Antennas Now Much Easier To Get FCC Approval

For those of you who may have been following the testing and approval
process of the new Kinstar AM broadcast Antenna, this story came from the
CGC E-newsletter:

--------------------

SIMPLIFIED FCC PROCEDURES FOR USING NON-D KINSTAR AM ANTENNAS

  By this Public Notice, the Media Bureau announces simplified
procedures for AM station construction permit applications which
specify non-directional KinStar antennas.  Based on its review of
the KinStar field tests and submitted reports, the Bureau
announces that it will not routinely require the submission of a
proof of performance, current distribution measurements, or a
formula for the vertical plane radiation characteristic for
non-directional AM facilities which utilize these relatively
short antennas.

FCC Links:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-2741A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-2741A2.pdf

-------------------

I was living about five miles from their test site between Abingdon and
Bristol, VA when Kintronics was testing this about three years ago.  I have
also spoken with Tom King of Kintronics extensively on the subject, and even
did a few informal comparative antenna measurements on my own to satisfy my
curiosity when the tests were being conducted.   Bottom line on this antenna
is that it has been shown to be about 98% efficient when compared to a
standard 1/4 wave broadcast antenna.  Now that the FCC has made it easier to
get approval for the Kinstar, many AM stations who have difficulty with
installing new or replacement towers due to zoning, height, and NIMBY's have
a fighting chance.  The Kinstar is only the height of a tall telephone pole.

If you are unfamiliar with the Kinstar Antenna check out Kintronics
description and testing data at their website:
http://www.kintronic.com/site/systems/kinstar.asp

The full technical paper presented to the NAB is also available in pdf form
at:
www.kintronic.com/site/techpapers/KTL_NAB_Paper.pdf

When I saw the antenna during the tests, my first reaction was:  hey, what a
great 160 meter antenna this would make!

73,
Rene'

Rene' Tetro
Lansdale, PA , USA