Re: [IRCA] Misc plus 650 KENI

Doug,

I wouldn't say KENI is easy but it has been pretty consistent.  Its not always there, but its there every night (except for 2 or 3 in the past 3 weeks).  Occasionally its strong, but usually not, just consistent enough (and the only thing at that bearing) to allow them to come in cleanly.  At 0130, I finally went out to listen.  Beer and pizza is not conducive to sitting on a cold patio with headphones on.  First stop was 650, and KENI was running a promo for Paul Harvey, then an ID.  At 0200, they may have been in the mix, but at the angle I point the radio to hear them, I was getting XETNT.  I imagine that your frustration at not getting KENI is about the same as mine in getting them as the ONLY Alaskan.  550 is blocked by KOAC...660 is the reverse angle of KTNN...750 is blocked by KXL.  Any others would be a pipe dream.

As far as tips go, I have noticed a few things about the S350 that you can use to your advantage.  First, signals are strongest straight off the back of the radio.  I point it SSE to get KENI, and KENI is NNW of me.  Second is that you can use the narrow filter to get into adjacents of stronger stations, but if there are no stronger stations on adjacent frequencies, the narrow filter sometimes blocks the response that makes it easier to make stations out...it all depends on the station.  Third, at least on mine, I tune 1-2 KHz off frequency for better clarity.  That too is not cast in stone.

I thought tonight would be great with WHO in clear before sunset.  As of 0200, all I can brag about is WHO, KRLD, WLNO and a weak WCCO.  Maybe later...maybe not.

Mike

Doug Pifer - KE6GMM <oregon4wd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,
I'm admiring all your guys' catches. Meanwhile, I'm still working on KENI.
As Mike mentioned, it sounds like a real possibility here, but I'd hate to
have that 10-20 year drought happen before I catch it at least once. I
ventured outside with my S-350 to no avail. Go ahead, call me a copy cat,
hi. CX was about the same as inside, so I'd rather be here. Has it really
been coming in that decent (occasionally) for you guys or are you just
making it sound easy??? After a week or two, I've had a few audible nibbles
but I feel like I'm throwing out a hook with a sour grape on the end. Any
further tips welcome!
73- Doug-- only 40 miles inland...
Drake R8B
Kiwa Loop

Drove past 1230 KBOV a few months ago Mike- a classic location.