[IRCA] Chula Vista, CA - 1620 kHz

As time allows, I have been trying to track down the station that is testing on 1620 kHz.

First, I drove by SDSU last week and confirmed it is NOT their old "KCR" station coming back on the air.

Yesterday, I drove around downtown Chula Vista while I was running some errands.  I found the signal got a lot louder around 3rd and L Street.  I was even getting some transmitter hum on the signal and it was battling the XEUT-1630 slop pretty well.  Since the signal got weaker to the west, north, and east, and a bit weaker to the south, I'd say the transmitter is in this neighborhood.  I didn't have time to bring along the '2010 and really DF it.

Next, I drove past the fire station at 4th and Oxford to see if the city TIS was still there.  It was (pointlessly running OC as it has been doing for months at a time).  It would be pretty dumb to move to 1620 anyway, when even 1610 is slopped by XEUT.

In fact, 1620 would be a bad choice anywhere in San Diego, so I doubt this is an official TIS testing.  All I can guess is someone got hold of a TIS transmitter and is playing radio.

The message remains the same: "Test message #1 broadcasting on 16-20 AM, end test.  Test message #2 broadcasting on 16-20 AM, end test."

73, Tim Hall
Chula Vista, CA