Re: [IRCA] Excellent cx to the north

Craig

A few suggestions based in part on what we hear on the left coast and what I've seen European DXers report:

Japan - The high powered NHK stations are good bets, with 500kw JOUB-774 consistently having the best signal.  I believe the NHK stations are non-directional  I'm not sure what the Europeans hear regularly.

Thailand - VOA on 1575 is 1 MW & has been heard in Newfoundland.  It's one of our more consistently good Asians.

Taiwan - Family Radio on 1557 is a  possibility with a few hundred kw.  It was recently heard in Brazil, though that's an equatorial path rather than an Arctic path.

China - The Europeans report a CNR station on 1377 fairly often.

South Korea - HLAZ-1566 is a powerhouse for us and is sometimes reported by British DXers.  They have a several-tower DA, and use duifferent patterns for different target audiences.  We can sure tell the difference when they're pointing towards us vs away from us.  They're listed as Korean 1900-1100 UTC, I think their lobe would point roughly due north during that period, though I'm not 100% sure.

India - the National Channel on 1566 has been heard in Newfoundland.  I've seen reports from Europeans, though I'm not sure howoften they hear it.  This one is also 1 MW.  It's near the top of our most wanted list, but so far HLAZ has always been way too strong for us to hear anything else.

Bruce

Craig Healy wrote:
My recollection of logging of Pyongyang on ECNA is that there were
three reports which I thought had credibility, these were from Ben
Dangerfield (near Philadelphia), Gordon Nelson (near Boston) and
C M Stanbury (Ont. near Bufalo)...

(snip)

Bob,

Thanks for clarifying all this.  Makes for some very good hints on how this
might be duplicated.  I have to wonder how many ECNA people have a EWE,
Flag, Pennant or BOG aimed due north?  If nobody is looking that direction,
then it's inlikely that a signal would be heard even if it did make it here.
It would take more than a simple loop and good receiver these days with all
the added ambient noise. and interference.

I suppose a good start would be identifying some target stations.  I wonder
if there are any megawatt-class facilities in that part of the world with a
favorable antenna arrangement?  Does Japan have anything aimed toward
Kamchatka? Maybe the Scandinavian DXers have a better handle on this.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI