[IRCA] How I turned a walkman-like radio into a DXing machine!

[IRCA] How I turned a walkman-like radio into a DXing machine!

Hey, I've been playing around tonite, and I decided I needed to mod my
RCA RP-1878A walkman-like portable for better selectivity.

What I did was replace the 15 kHz filter (marked HLB450BY) with the 6
kHz filter (SFP450IA) taken from my dead DX440.

Of course, it didn't plug right in, so I had to add some pigtails to the
  new filter.

Anyway, I put it back together and wow! What a difference!
Where as before I would get a strong station across 50kHz worth of
tuning, I now get no bleedover from one channel to  the next.

With this mod and my RS loop antenna, it makes a pretty decent portable
DXing machine!

Pictures here:
http://www.gentoo.net/mike/radio/mwdx/RCA-mod

--