Re: [IRCA] Surge Protectors at your power box

Re: [IRCA] Surge Protectors at your power box

Hi Patrick -

   Sounds as if you share transformer w/neighbor. Second best way to stop secondary line noise is w/your own transformer. Homes fed from same transformer do for noise what party lines did for gossips. Noisy dimmer on neighbor's housewiring 'shares the love' with others on common transformer.

  Noise sniffing goes w/hobby. CA, RI and FL - where lived - power companies most helpful. Noise usually unintentional. Line maint. dept. handles noise & appreciates dx'ers' advance work. They say visible phenoms - arcing insulators - don't usually cause interference, but they'll still fix 'em. Non-visible defects like bum lightning arrestors and 'shoes' - fittings binding primary lines to insulators - & bi-metal joints in general are typical culprits.

  Both primary and secondary noise best stopped at source. Loops, phasing, receiver anti-jam techniques help at your end. As w/other cancers, noise best burnt & excised at primary site. Once in system, hits from too many directions. My experience w/neighbor: Bank pres. remodeled his summer home, stranger to me. Blue stockings - seasonal residents whose five week summer visits made our lives 'interesting' year 'round - thought him 'snooty, mean, venomous'. Why they're called Blue Stockings.

   Electricians loaded speed controllers, dimmers into house, foretelling possible trouble. Though two hundred feet distant, his home and mine shared transformer w/two others.

  Called him. Complimented home. Stated calling re matters not my business. Would understand were he to hang up. Outlined concern re noise, dimmers, electricians didn't know if RFI suppressed or not.

   Offered  - were he willing - to pay costs of RFI suppressed dimmers etc. as well as whatever he thought appropriate. Wouldn't hear of it. Most gracious instead. Said he'd check into it. Turned out though boxes didn't state it, all components RFI suppressed.

  Result: Established friendship. Remodeled home uplifted value of ours. We became wealthier for just for sleeping in. No noise. Blue stockings? Same grousing, different target.

  Interestingly, many Rhode Islanders who live in/around Providence and who have summer homes long have enjoyed listening to 'all NY stations' when at shore, as did neighbor. He said had I not called, he would have been unable to enjoy NY stations & not immediately known why.

  Unintentional, but moreso intentional noise - whose emitters shift blame - prevents many besides dx'ers from hearing what they wish. Non Dx'ers' unawareness of problem puts them at disadvanteage, paradoxically benefits those interfering. Power companies and neighbors, on other hand, usually more than helpful. Many times a neighbor's reception suffers as well ours, from noise originating in his home. He'll likely appreciate your bringing it to his attention for mutual benefit. Too many people, left uninformed, assume interference to be normal, rather than seeing it for the aberration that it is.

                                                              =Z.=

PVZ
Manasecondarynoise Key, FL
BT