Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] MW DX Portables

I have been through two Sony 2010's and find them to be great on MW. The sync detection really helped with split frequency stations when I lived in Hawaii.

However, I find my off the shelf, stock, no modifications Realistic model 12-655 with the TRF stage to be the best portable MW receiver I own. It's selective, sensitive, and has nice nulling abilities. Of course, no digital readout, s-meter, or expanded band coverage, but it is one hot radio. The best thing Radio Shack ever sold. It must be 30 years old now, and the slide controls always get cranky and need a little cleaning, but if I had to pick one MW portable, this would be it. It's been around, and banged around, but it still works like a champ. In Hawaii, I heard a few Far East stations on the barefoot TRF that were just carriers on the Sony 2010.
 A friend has a portable Grundig from Europe. It uses "funny" batteries, and judging by the stations and frequencies listed on the LW and MW dials, I would put it as a late 60's or early 70's model. It could also be used in a car. This European Grundig is just as hot as the TRF, but with much nicer audio. I don't have the model number. I don't own it. But it's fun to DX with.
Brock Whaley
WH6SZ
Lilburn, GA