Re: [IRCA] Surge Protectors at your power box

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do have a question and I am wondering if the investment is worth my
> while.
> All of our utes are underground here. No arcing of transformers and
> all
> of that. My neighbor does have a light dimmer. With my coax buied and
> matching transformers and all, it does not get into the receivers too
> much. I do hear it at times. It is quite noisy on a portable in the
> house though. Bill has had this dimmer for a few years. He is a funny
> guy and you never know how he may react to things, so I have never
> said
> anything. I can live with. OK, on to my question. I was told the
> electric outfits now have a line filter they can install in your
> service
> box. Do these things help? I have good surge protectors for all of my
> equiptment anyway.
> Comments?  Thanks.

*** Doubtful. The dimmer is radiating some of that noise through the
air, otherwise your noise-suppression efforts with the antennas would
have done nothing. It might help for whatever component of that is
getting through the neighbor's box , out to the main lines and then
back through your box, but my guess is that the
radiated-through-the-air component is the larger one, and you appear to
have done what you can for that already.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID