Re: [IRCA] More on 1710. Pirating in general

You actually showed up in Arbitron?

From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles A & Leonor L Taylor
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 10:36 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: [IRCA] More on 1710. Pirating in general

RE 1710:

I tuned up there around twilight local time and checked thru out the evening. At last check about 2100 local, there were THREE carriers in there. One of them sounded to be off 200 Hz or so.

Lubavitcher seems to have a good-quality transmitter. Stable frequency staying 3 - 5 Hz away from the other pirate. Modulation quite clear at times. Enough for an ID.
Modulation didn't sound bad. However, it sounded as though some of the programming was being taken off shortwave. Fading and phase shifting not correlating with fading of Lubavitcher carrier.

I guess the next question is "Where is the FCC?" It does seem that some pirates have become either too dangerous politically for the FCC to close down, or of such little problem engineering-wise that the FCC just lets well enough alone is it chases bigger fish.

When I got shut down back in Indianapolis, FCC Chicago sent a field officer (GS=11, same grade I retired from VOA!) to do a sweep thru Indianapolis). WISK-1110
could be heard well enough that the licensed stations (WISH-1310 especially) took exception to us. We actually made book once.

If I didn't believe in being legal in all things and didn't have so many other risk factors being a retired federal employee, I'd probably get a pirate station of some 50 W on the
air in a flash. Jimmy-in-Jericho I'd have so much fun! Being 58 years old wouldn't make a bit of difference. I could put on a program that folks would listen to for certain.

Sigh!

Charles the Retired Petty Criminal