Re: [IRCA] 1240-KLOA Ridgecrest- Modern GY conditions

Re: [IRCA] 1240-KLOA Ridgecrest- Modern GY conditions

One difference between "now" and "then" is the higher power of
graveyarders.  I don't remember when the 1000 watt day, 250 watt night
(or, for that matter, the subsequent 1000 watt day, 1000 watt night)
powers went into effect but I think that my Cupertino loggings were
done when the graveyard powers were 250 watts day and night.  One
advantage in the west is the relative low density of graveyard
stations.  In the midwest, we have a higher station density and in the
east, the station density is horrendous (probably due to a combination
of population density and poor ground conductivity).  Here in Northern
Minnesota, graveyards are generally a jumble at night but frequently, a
station will pop on top for a while.  Unfortunately, with the almost
total elimination of local programming at night it's difficult to tell
what you're hearing unless one is lucky enough to hear the very
infrequent local spot or toh id (which is another huge difference
between "now" and "then", the "then" preponderance of local programming
with enough local info to pinpoint the station vs. the "now"
preponderance of satellite fed sameness).