Re: [IRCA] CBC1 and CBC2

At 03:43 PM 9/29/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Ya'll,
>On 9/27 I was listening to 1010 CBR Calgary and at 2259 PDT, there was a
>break in the programming. The guy said, paraphrasing - (due to a labor
>disruption, there is no regular programming on CBC1 and CBC2). - what
>labor????  They were playing a variety of music.  Doe's anyone have the
>scoop on this. I usually don't chart their programming because most of it
>seems to be a variety of just about everything anyways.

The unions that represent nearly all English-language CBC employees (except
for those in Quebec and in Moncton, N.B.) were locked out in mid-August
during a contract dispute, which stemmed in large part from CBC
management's desire to use more temporary workers. Programming on all CBC
services has been disrupted as a result, with skeleton national programs
replacing the local and regional offerings in mornings, middays and
afternoons on Radio One and music programming replacing much of the
national talk there as well. CBC-TV's usual national news offerings have
been replaced with BBC news (at 6 and 11 PM).

The big crisis will come in another week or so, when "Hockey Night in
Canada" is supposed to return to the CBC-TV airwaves. There's a lot of
pressure to reach a settlement in the dispute to avoid having to disrupt
HNIC, which is by far the most popular thing on the CBC's schedule.