[IRCA] New & Recent Cuban Loggings

Greetings,

Conditions are indeed interesting.

570 Cuba CMDC (tent) Santa Clara 9/25 0223 MST with
Cuban nx, characteristic "RR" in morse code with
ticking clock, O/U KLIF

Drake R8A w/150' E/W EWE Quantum Phaser

890 BC CJDC Dawson Creek 9/24 0600 MST ID as C (C & W
artist stating name) J (C & W artist stating name) D
(C & W artist stating name) C (C & W artist stating
name) decent signal on peaks, not new, but nice to
hear anyway

Sony ICF-S5W barefoot

790 Cuba CMAQ (tent) R. Reloj Pinar del Rio 9/25 0130
MST out of the mud with nx, "Aqui on R. Reloj",
characteristic "RR" in morse code with ticking clock,
back into mud, "RR" in morse w/ticking clock still
audible at 0151 MST, new for me

Drake R8A w/ 150' E/W EWE Quantum Phaser

1460 TX KTFW Burleson 9/24 2200 MST w/nice CL IZD in
the clear, C & W mx, in the clear for about 10 minutes

Palstar R30 70' SE EWE

I am plagued with generally poor ground conditions
here. I stumbled upon an article (by Bruce Conti, I
believe, I have since misplaced the article) on
modifying the EWE configuration by adding a
counterpoise ground and feeding each end to a phaser.
I am feeding each end of my E/W EWE via ICE impedance
matchers at the 800 ohm setting to a Quantum Phaser. I
also added the Bryant rf chokes on the feedlines (17
turns of RG-174 on Amidon FT-114J toroid cores. This
has produced the best results swo far with the EWE. In
essence, the new EWE configuration seems like a
rectangular loop antenna to me. I will be trying a
couple of KAZ antennas soon. Given my location,
bedrock in the back yard in a semi-arid climate,
ground independent antennas seem to be the way to go.
I sure appreciate the work and experimentation fellow
hobbyists have done in this area. The information
which they have shared has been inspirational to a
non-technician like me who has a penchant for playing
with wires in search of better antenna solutions. I
still dream of hearing more than just a het on 1314,
HI!

73's

Craig Barnes
Wondervu, CO

P.S. Lynn - You and your neighbors along the Gulf
coast are in my prayers. I hope all is as well as can
be under the circumstances.