Re: [IRCA] Copper loop update 2

Is your Sloper a homebrew? I have an Alpha-Delta Sloper, but I haven't put
it up here at the new house. It's the one that includes MW. I bought it
years ago for my Drake SW-2. The 135' Wire I have seems to do a great job.

I also want to try a bev. around my yard. It will have to run at angles, but
I guess you just have to experiment. I will post the dimensions one day and
see if anyone has any suggestions. I think it will run around five or
six-hundred feet in length when it's all said and done. Maybe a project for
my Fall Break in a few weeks...

Oh..where did the toroid come from? What size, etc? And how did you solder
it to the coax connector? I'm very ignorant when it comes to the technical
side of things.

Thanks for the information.

Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia
Proudly Serving You Since 1964!

>Thanks for the pictures. I may even try one of these myself. Keep the info
>coming.

My pleasure.  I have had a chance to use it a bit more tonight.  It receives
a heck of a lot better than my usual antenna.  This seems much better on low
angle signals.  For example, I had good hets on 639 and 1089 on the loop.
Nearly non-existant on my usual 100' sloper antenna.  On 870, Air America
out of Maine was really dominant.  On the loop, WWL was in about half the
time.  The position I have the loop minimizes several locals, plus many of
the Boston area stations.  It also drops most of the Cubans to well below
any US stations.  Cuba dominates 570, 600, 670 and 710 among others.  With
the loop I hear the expected domestics.  The Chicago clears are very good on
the loop while the sloper has them poorly.

On 600 WICC in CT was pretty much dominant on the loop, and no SS heard.
Right now 570 has Reloj and maybe NYC way under on the sloper.

For the simplicity in construction, this thing has been great.  Probably
took me a half hour to build, not including the trip to Home Depot for the
tubing and elbows.  The ferrite toroid took only a few minutes to wind and
solder.  Dead easy.

I suspect that after I make a stable and easily moved mount, the nulling
will improve.  I also want to phase two of these against each other, or
against a vertical.   All this experimenting will take a while.

I think I'll do another Home Depot run tomorrow and buy some more tubing.  I
want to make two loops at 5' on a side, half the size of the one I'm using
now.  Just to compare the 10' and the 5'.  I'd expect 6db difference, but..

Also heard:  WHCU-870, WHO-1040, Radio Disney on 1640 // 1650 except for a
local ad mentioning Franklin and Milwaukee.  WBEN-930 which is uncommon
here.  Usually NJ and NH.  Assumed KMOX-1120 with a Cardinals game.  SS on
the sloper.

Seems like great conditions tonight.  Many skip signals S9+20db.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI