Re: [IRCA] Verifications

When I started DXing in 1968, I avidly sent reports to stations so that I could get QSLs.  I got several hundred, and there were a few stations that ignored me no matter what.  The number of responses became less and less over time, and by 1990 by I stopped sending reports.  The investment of time...the rapidly escalataing postage costs...the frustration of not getting a reply...they all played into it.

In 1995, I got incredible armchair reception (from the next room) of KCBF/820 in Alaska.  I had never heard them before and was shocked to hear the quality ofthe reception.  I sent them a 1-hour long report, and even told them in the report that my reason for the report was to verify what I considered to be by far my best reception of Alaska.  No response, even after two follow-ups.  That cemented in my mind that I would not waste my time with that anymore.

Now, I just listen and log my receptions.  There's probably a lot of DXers like me who have stopped sending reports.

Mike Hawkins

David Hochfelder <david.hochfelder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, and the FCC should require that all licensed stations hire a staff
member whose sole reponsibility is to ensure that all reception reports
be answered within a week, and that all stations run DX tests weekly.
How dare they ignore us DXers: who do they think they are, anyway?

Seriously, now, veries are a COURTESY. Stations have no obligation,
legal or otherwise, to send out veries. It's merely a favor to us and
we should not expect it to be otherwise.

Dave
Highland Park, NJ

Bert,

I think the FCC should require all licensed radio stations to keep QSL
cards
on hand to handle the high number of reception reports, no matter how few
are received. QSL cards can be printed up for as little as $10 per
1,000. When I
got my ham radio license back in 1992, I spent $20 to get 1,000 QSL
cards
printed up! ; some of them have been used by stations as verifications (most
notably WFWL 1220 Camden, TN and WCGO 1600 Chicago Heights, IL). That
would save
the copywriter a lot of headaches; all the engineer, program director or
general manager has to do is fill in the blanks......

73, Eric (N0UIH)
begin:vcard
fn:David Hochfelder
n:Hochfelder;David
org:Rutgers University;Thomas A. Edison Papers
adr;dom:;;44 Road 3;Piscataway;NJ;08854-8049
email;internet:david.hochfelder@xxxxxxxxxxx
title:Assistant Editor and Assistant Research Professor
tel;work:732-445-8511
tel;fax:732-445-8512
tel;cell:848-391-9103
url:http://edison.rutgers.edu