Re: [IRCA] AM vs MW-IBOC range differences

Re: [IRCA] AM vs MW-IBOC range differences

>No receiver will see that energy out near 25 kHz away. Just for grins, let's
>say half is seen. That's about 625 Watts if we are talking about a 50 kw
>station.
>
>Is everybody bored?

I sure hope not, because this stuff matters - or will, once the radios get
out there. We're DXers, after all, and I know one of the first questions
I'll be asking when and if I get my hands on an IBOC receiver will be, "can
I get DX on this thing?"

As long as the broadcasters are putting it out (and with my broadcaster hat
on, I can say that there's enough of a sizable investment that's been made
in IBOC that they *will* be putting it out, whether we like it or not), we
may as well try to receive it, and if we're going to try to receive it, it
seems to me that we may as well try to learn as much as we can about what
it is that we're trying to receive.

It's not a perfect comparison, I realize, but our TV brethren weathered the
uncertain arrival of DTV, and many of them (er - "us," since I'm also a
proud member of WTFDA) are having a lot of fun learning that DTV DX is not
only possible, but has charms and challenges all its own.

Trying hard to stay optimistic...