Re: [IRCA] E-Mail Lists & The Future of the Hobby

Is the NRC considering folding? Or did they just eliminate their list and create a soft version of DXN, but have no plans to fold?

From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Les Rayburn
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 11:22 AM
To: NRC AM List
Cc: IRCA
Subject: [IRCA] E-Mail Lists & The Future of the Hobby

I've been out of reach of e-mail for the past two weeks, while serving as an
emergency communicator in Mississippi and New Orleans. When I returned,
I was saddened to read the dozens and dozens of e-mail messages on the
NRC AM List.

While I salute the NRC for (finally) launching it's E-DXN, I am disappointed in
their decision to discontinue the e-mail list. Web based forums are wonderful,
but cannot replace the immediacy of e-mail lists. The "DX-Tips" list especially
is one of the best tools available to DX'ers. I urge the BoD to reconsider.

Adding even more e-mail lists is hardly the answer. It only further distills
information and makes the task of gathering it more difficult. Frankly, with
the number of DX'ers shrinking daily, I think it's past time that both of the
major clubs took a hard look at combining their efforts and resources for
the common good.

As the Broadcast Test Coordinator for both clubs, I was further saddened to
see that one of the casualties of the heated discussion was a radio engineer
who in the past had conducted several DX tests. He took a comment very
personally, and unsubscribed from the list. With his departure, we may
have lost another friend in the broadcast community. I strongly caution
members of both clubs against making comments about stations, engineers,
or corporations.

It's past time that all MW DX'ers faced the facts. Our hobby is shrinking and
becoming more challenging. If we wish to see it continue for our lifetimes,
then we must stop fighting with each other, upsetting stations and their
staff, and wasting the resources that we have available.

I move that we open discussions to combine the NRC and IRCA. Do I hear
a second?

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator