[IRCA] Saturday Night on 560 and 990

Last Saturday night I had the chance to drive from my brother’s house near Oneonta, NY to my home in Lansdale, PA.  Much to my wife’s chagrin, I spent most of trip DXing the two frequencies that most interest me right now – 560 and 990.   I stopped listening near Allentown when signals from my own stations (WFIL 560 and WNTP 990) began to override everything else.  The route taken was I-88 to I-81 to the PA Tpk NE Extension (I-476).  I had never really had a chance to see what’s dxable along that route at night before, so I thought this would be a good opportunity.  The DXing was done using my Alpine car radio with a standard 31 inch whip – nothing esoteric here.

What I found on 560 was interesting.  The dominant station on the frequency throughout the trip turned out to be CFOS in Owen Sound, ON, Canada.  A first-time catch for me.  I was quite surprised, since their night pattern shows only a small lobe towards eastern NY and PA.  Could they have been cheating (accidentally or otherwise) on their day pattern and 7.5 KW day power?  No way of knowing, but their signal was much stronger than I would have expected from a 1KW DA whose main lobe is in the opposite direction!

Other stations heard on 560 were WGAN in Portland, ME.  Another first time catch.  Their signal was in and out for a while, once in a while topping over CFOS.  It would stay up for a couple of minutes and then fade back down into the hash.  Same for WHYN in Springfield, MA and WFIL in Philly.   All would fight periodically for dominance against CFOS, but the latter would eventually win out.  Once I got down to Lehighton on the PA Tpk NE Extension, it was pretty much WFIL the rest of the, as might be expected.

On 990, good old “Legends 990” WLGZ in Rochester was dominant for the most part.  Once in a while I would hear CBW come up, as well as WNTP.  Also heard a Spanish station in the hash which I was unable to identify.  I assume it was either WXCT in Southington, CT or WALE in RI.   There were two surprises for me:  my first copy of what I think was “WNML” in Knoxville since they changed calls.  I didn’t even realize that they weren’t WNOX anymore until I got home and began trying to figure out what WNML was!  Even more surprising was pulling in WNTW in Somerset, PA for a few minutes while I was around Binghamton – not bad for 100 watts.

Fortunately for my wife, she fell asleep early in the trip show she missed the almost 2 and a half hours of skywave noise  J.

73,

Rene’

Rene' F. Tetro,

Chief Engineer