Re: [IRCA] MF Daytime Skywave Propagation

Re: [IRCA] MF Daytime Skywave Propagation

Thomas,

I went to your web site, have only begun to read through the material.  Before I got far, however, your PSK31 beacon caught my eye.

I've just begun playing with an RX320 PC controlled receiver and the digital modes reception through the soundcard interface.  Your beacon sounded like a good place to try my hand at that mode.  I tuned to 28131 MHz and got a clear signal with no noticeable interference.  The signal is about S2.5-3.0 on my NRD535D with a calibrated S-meter.  The RX320 software implementation uses a relative representation, 1 on a scale of 0-10 (but with a lowered maximum from what would be used for AM BCB for example).

Next I looked for a PSK31 decoding program -- freeware -- that I could download, and picked HamScope.  Fired it up, twiddled some things, and got...garbage.  Decided to read the instructions.

Went back to your site, then to the PropNet site where images of the official PSK31 program showed an example...same gibberish I had been copying.  I guess I had been successful and didn't know it.  I decided to not download that program since I seemed to be receiving the same thing.

Anyway, if you don't mind and would save me the time up front to study this in more detail, is there any rhyme or reason to the data received from your beacon?  Or is it strictly for mathematical analysis to determine propagation?  Would there be something more humanly intelligible were I to use the PropNet program?

All very interesting, but a lot to digest.

Thanks,
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (Southeast) Florida
[Ten-Tec RX320-DCE, LF Engineering H-800, GAP DSP]
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/wobbler/