[IRCA] Cool book

My copy of Radio Station Treasury 1900-1946 by Tom Kneitel that I bought on eBay has arrived. Thanks to whomever posted the URL for the auction. It is absolutely pristine and absolutely fascinating. It's mostly lists of frequencies over the years.

The advertisements for radios and antennas are really something. There were some awful big promises being made performance wise. An example: "New All Wave Radio; takes you 'round the world" for $1.95 (slightly more in Canada). It's a little hard to tell but I think the deal is if you want the tubes they're 85 cents extra and if you want "double headphones" (that description was used a lot) they're $1.00 extra.

Then there's the "Antennaphone; replaces the aerial. Improves reception. Gives wonderful results with any radio set. Not attached to, but merely placed under the telephone. Price One Dollar. Complete with insulated wire and simple instructions". There are lots more. One is the Ears of Radio 50 foot aerial; there's a drawing of a guy that couldn't look more like Ross Perot if he tried.

Then there's a drawing of a couple listening to the radio. Both appear to be wearing "double headphones". There's nothing about who made the "aerial" but it says "a 5 foot wire thrown over a desk, my wife and I listened to a concert from 600 miles distant".

My guess is a lot of these things didn't perform as advertised.