Re: [IRCA] why advertise IBOC when you don't have to?

Re: [IRCA] why advertise IBOC when you don't have to?

So you have raised a point regarding monopolies.  Wouldn't it stand to reason that if everyone who is required to install IBOC equipment has to buy it from a single vendor, and that reliance upon a single vendor could jeopardize their ability to have business continuity should said vendor be unable to provide equipment?  Is the vendor likely to license other manufacturers, or to make it open source.  Likely not!

Maybe Federal Trade Commission is the best way to go to stifle this one.  The vendor sees dollar signs, and an unwillingness to share the dollars may hang this one in court for decades.

Mike Hawkins

Milspec390@xxxxxxx wrote:
Neither Ibiquity nor Clear Channel accuse IBOC detractors of begrudging stations increased profits. Nor have hobbyists. No, we're not bad for objecting to IBOC. Why raise the argument? 'Predatory emulation' is an elegant term describing the snake in the road who lures victims with tales of woe.  A fictional example, Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. He donned a plaster cast the better to trap his quarry, as did Ted Bundy in real life. IBOC promoters have yet to use the tactic.  Why accuse ourselves unjustly?

  Promoters do liken those questioning IBOC to Luddites who resented Mr. Ford's cars and favored a return to horse and buggy. But Ford's cars didn't consign horses to glue factories and buggies to the fires of Gehenna. Improvements didn't wreck existing arrangements.

   Until they were silenced in trade publications, IBOC detractors all favored profits. Profit isn't the objection, it's the subject that dare not speak its name, interference.

  No prior improvement caused interference as does IBOC. Most telling, the 'yeah, but, you're an idiot who doesn't get it' squelching of those favoring increased profits while maintaining technical standards. Cursory review of trade mags shows that offensive language and insulting statements are regularly employed by IBOC promoters, who are otherwise unable to factually refute objections and honestly answer questions.

   Forget that we're hobbyists. We listen with trained ears, an early warning system for future problems. Even the industry hasn't stooped to calling objectors 'a handful of disagreeable eccentrics with an oddball hobby', though that approach has in the past been used. Why apologize for asking that the RF spectrum be respected?

   Are we allowed to dump garbage in the street? Can we slop old paint in the woods? Would we justify such by claiming that it was for the good of sprucing up our properties?

  So why blame ourselves for being among the first to spot problems with IBOC? If we spot a fire in an office building, do we leave and not tell others, thinking it 'bad' to do so?

  Why apologize? Scammers first kick the intended victim off balance, keep him on the defensive. The rest is easy. It's also how monopolists do it. Enron debacle resulted from biz practices of 80's and 90's. It was unthinkable prior to 2000 to criticize them, though Californians early-on noted troubles via their electric bills.  As some presciently wonder, what is the ultimate goal of those pushing IBOC?  Why push at all? Doesn't an innovative product sell itself?

                                                                                                    -Z.-

Paul Vincent Zecchino
Manasoviet Key, FL
14 2312Z MAY 05