[IRCA] IBOC - My Thoughts

         Recalling that, in theory, radio stations operate in part to make
money, I can appreciate the trend towards utilizing IBOC. In a way, it's
like AM Stereo being the hoped for panacea for declining audiences years
ago. AM stations are trying to recoup lost audiences while keeping their
present listener base.

         For those of us in the DX Hobby, IBOC presents as a threat to our
hobby, and I understand that aspect also. In a way, the recent DX Test from
WODI-1230 is an example. Less than 3 miles from my QTH (2.87 to be precise)
is the transmitter tower for WJNC-1240 with 1kw ND NSP. Bad WJNC. How dare
they try and make money and provide a service when I'm trying to DX!! It
would have been nice if WJNC hadn't been on, but it was on, I listened for
the test, and I logged WODI, albeit with a great deal of QRM.

         Undoubtedly, IBOC will hurt our hobby in some ways, but as DXers,
haven't we always found a way around problems such as this? For me, this is
simply another challenge in hearing new stations, however, I'm not too worried.

         To digress briefly. As I understand, by December of 2006, all TV
transmissions in the United States are supposed to go digital, thus
rendering analog TV sets useless. Somewhere, some "genius" figured that if
we build digital stations, viewers will buy digital sets. Guess what? I
won't, and reportedly less than 25% of U.S. households have switched to
digital. Why should I, or anyone else, throw away a perfectly good TV, or
spend $$$ to have it adapted to receive digital broadcasts? My wife and I
agree --- TV goes digital, and we happily go without. Sorry advertisers,
but you may lose 2 consumers.

         Now, back to IBOC. I've had the opportunity to hear IBOC
broadcasts, and I'm not overly impressed. Oh! I need to buy a new radio for
the home and car so I can hear the improved quality of IBOC broadcasts?
Think again. If the radios in my home and cars need to be replaced, then I
don't need IBOC.

         In business, in which I have a degree, there seems to be the
misconception that people are like cattle. Where one goes, the other
follows: i.e., keeping up with the Jones Family. Trouble is, Americans may
follow, but we have this inherent "problem" - don't tell us what to do.
Tell us what we have to do, and we tend not to follow.

         The point here is to look at the product (AM Radio) and see what
can be done to make it more user friendly. Adding bells and whistles won't
cut it. For me, I want a local station to be just that - providing area
news, weather coverage, and hometown information. Until that happens, I
have plenty of CDs to occupy my time.

         Mike

Mike Hardester
Jacksonville, NC. (34.47 N ? 77.23 W)
ICOM R-70 - 2 x 75 foot (23 meter) random wires
Quantum Phaser and Patience