[IRCA] Spokane Area Silent station list was Re: CAL. DEAD STATION LIST

[IRCA] Spokane Area Silent station list was Re: CAL. DEAD STATION LIST

The calls KXXR moved to 1550 for a while and 1550 later became KSVY(?).  KSVY
had an odd schedule for a time 1000-2200 local time and when I listened to them on
vacation in the 1980's and they played oldies but with no ads for some reason.  I am
not sure of this station's transmitter location, but I think it was in Chester,
Washington, which is about 3 miles south of Opportunity, near where KZUN 630 had
their transmitter and not at KXXR's old site.  I will have to double check that.

Don't forget KMJY 700 which was licensed to Newport on 700 and went silent. The
allocation for 700 moved to Airway Heights (West of Spokane) some 50 or 60 miles
away from Newport as KXLI.  Their format was old time radio when I heard them last
September (2004).  The owners of both KMJY and KXLI are Mr. and Mrs. Jim
Stargell.  Jim Stargell was the CE at KGA 1510 in the 1970's before he built KMJY.  If
you have a KGA QSL from that era, he is likely the verie signer.  .The calls KMJY still
survives on FM (104.5) and that allocation may move closer to Spokane as well.

Also KVNI in Courd'Alene moved from 1240 to 1080 in the late 1970's(?)

Further north, KCVL moved from 1270 to 1240 some time in the 1970's.

Does anyone know if KEYG 1490 Grand Coulee is at the same site which KFDR
1360 occupied?

I remember listening to KLFF, KPEG, and KDNC from when I was a kid just starting
to be aware of different radio stations before I began to DX in earnest. KLFF was
owned by a country singer called Cliff Carl. He would put on concerts at local events.
According to a web article I just found, KDNC was started in 1962. But I seem to
remember the station on 1440 using the call letters KCFA or KFCA before that.
Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Then there is the KOZE/KRLC/KLER 950/1300/1350 swap business.  I am not sure
of the timing for all this.   I don't know if these changes really involved silent stations,
but they did involve changing the city of licenses.

I am going to Spokane in June and will try to spend one day to do some investigation
to fill in the fine details.  Hopefully, I can contact Stan Wiesback and Jim Stargell.
Does anyone have Stan's email address?

If you have some specific questions about Spokane area stations, let me know and I
will do some investigation on my trip in June.

Bill Harms
Mis-placed Spokane native.
now visiting Elkridge, Maryland on a long-term vacation