Re: [IRCA] Update on California Stations

Re: [IRCA] Update on California Stations

Patrick,

Coalinga/1470 is dark.  I was down there in November.  Its one of those places that you have to choose to go to because its off of every main road.  I was talking with someone a few months back, and if I recall correctly, he said that the owner of KKFO had it and a number of other AM and FM stations licensed, but they were all dark...contrary to what the FCC thought.  All station operations were run out of a file cabinet in a Orange County warehouse.  When the FCC figured it out (a check to a transmitter site showed no structures ever having been there), the licenses for all were pulled and he paid a big fine.  I can't figure out what benefit he derived from that.

Concord/1480 is the same way right now.  The FCC thinks he's on the air.  He changes call letters periodically and renews his license at the appropriate intervals, but its been dark for more than 10 years.  FCC told me to make a formal complaint about it.  I told them that they have field staff that is supposed to be aware of things like that, and my only interest was that someone who may actually be able to provide a service to the community is deprived of the chance because of the guy hoarding the license.

I'll get off the soapbox now.

Mike Hawkins

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Don,

A really interesting list. Some stations I did not know they operated on
different frequencies in the 50s like KFMB.
As far as KPAY goes. Technically they are a deleted stations, as 1050
bought them to shut them off so KOFY could boost power. The calls went
to 1290.
1470 Coalinga? Didn't they return to the air? Are they silent again?
I remember back in the 90s when they were KKFO, I logged them on like 20
watts up here during AU and I had a time getting a QSL. The contract CE
is in LA and I finally tracked him down. I got a nice vl finally.

I have a lot of the deleted ones on your list too.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR