Re: [IRCA] Proving that I have more time than brains.....

Re: [IRCA] Proving that I have more time than brains.....

Bob,

It is kind of funny you mention KDAC. That one was a toughie to QSL.
Back then I logged them in the late 60s, the owner then,  hated DXers.
He would not even talk to them on the phone, let alone QSL. Of course
like many, I tried a few times to QSL the station, but no reply. For
years I never tried to hear them again. Then in 1995 before going to So
Cal from Oregon, I heard them one morning with local KVAS phased. I
thought, why not try to QSL this again. It has only been nearly 30
years. I sent a report and no reply. Bob and I were on our way back from
So Cal,a few weeks later,  so on the way, I decided to turn off Hy 101
and go over to Ft. Bragg. I was only 30 miles away. I called KDAC on my
cel phone and got the CE. Yes, he received my report but had not gotten
around to replying. He said he would gladly type out a QSL for me when I
stopped by and he would wait for me and give me the tour of the station.
The station (if still the same) is one of those 50s buildings with the
tower behind it. There even was a radio museum in the lobby area.
Really beautiful. I took several pictures. Bob, who wrote for Radio
World even got a story on the history of the station for RW. I got my
QSL that I had tried for many years. Then when I got back another letter
was waiting for me from the new owner of the station. The old owner
recently had sold the station because of poor health.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR