Re: [IRCA] Drake SPR4

  Padraic,

[Irish form of name]

The SPR-4 is one piece of work. Contrary to the discrete, transistorized
receivers of the era, this
one was built so that it has excellent strong-signal characteristics.

I have gone through several R-390As [buy, overhaul, resell, and for my
own use], and consis-
tently my SPR-4 has faced down the various contracts (e.g., Motorola,
AMELCO) of R-390As
in strong signal characteristics.

You pays your money and you gets what you gets, and the extra tuning
control for the tuned
R-F stages is the price for the strong signal characteristics. But, hey,
I'm tough! My little
bride of 36 years has more controls than an R-390A and most of them work
entirely backward
or sideways from manual instructions, and I've managed to learn to
control HER (well, in HER
case she has given me that illusion, but she's actually controlling me).

Contact Drake about the NB-5 or NB-4 or whatever the doo-hickey is
named. They may have
some in warehouse. I got my noise blanker many years after the SPR-4 was
no longer built in
Ohio.

Also thought it didn't work until I got tough and read the alignment
procedure....the noise
blanker, not the SPR-4. Sure hate to have to read instructions.

73 de Cholly WD9INP/NOT 6