[IRCA] Re: Don Erickson Story

At 01:54 PM 3/6/2005, Ray Bauernhuber wrote:
I remember you Lynn living in Alabama and sending reports to me. My
problem, always has been, is remembering dates, years etc.  I always
thought you were a member much longer ~ had no idea you joined IRCA in
'88.  Didn't you live in Huntsville?

Oooh, PLEEZE find those old Monitors in your attic.

Yup, Huntsville, AL. I always thought it was odd when I'd see logs from both JD Stephens and I, both in Huntsville, fill up EDXR - I often wondered how long it was going to be before someone asked me "Is it something in the water down there that makes you DX?"!

Found the box with those in it - I seem to remember getting a bunch of DXMs from JD around the time I joined so I'd have some idea of what was going on - the first  issue I have is dated 11/21/87 and is filled with my notes, and I see my first log was in the 1/23/88 issue, so I'll bet I joined early in the year. Tim Kreidel, you were the EDXR editor when I first joined - I didn't realize it, sorry!  Karl Zuk was IRCA president, followed by Phil Bytheway. Ray, you did EDXR from the 9/3/88 issue to the 9/19/92 issue, when Leonard Hyde took over for you. My memory is very visual; I can see, in looking at these back issues, why I remember your editor-ship: that graphic of the guy DXing - for some reason, that's what pops into my mind whenever someone asks what DXing is!

Interesting thing  - I was pulling out issues to look thru, going by the address DXM had been sent to - I was wondering what IRCA was doing when I changed addresses in Huntsville when I moved into our first house. As it happens, that issue was IRCA's 25th anniversary issue - a HUGE issue - with lots of pictures and loads of other stuff. Maybe I ought to scan that one and put it on the web site (hopefully, no one will get mad!)!

I had a BIG collection of NASWA Frendx's and IRCA Monitors and somehow
my wife convinced me to toss them out.  Caught me at a very weak moment
and it won't happen again - Hi

Hey, these are there ONLY because I somehow got the box with them up to the attic and now I don't think I could get it down without falling! Today I could take SOME issues out, but I'm not sure just what else is in that box!

Got a bunch of FRENDXs as well - that was all I used to get until I met JD Stephens and he told me about IRCA!

And for anyone interested, there IS some info in these older issues about who joined when - tho it's not always clear who joined, who rejoined, etc. There also ARE a few issues where the current IRCA membership list is printed. So if someone had to know about when they joined, it's conceivably possible to figure it out - but it would take a while!

Lynn.
Lafayette, LA
Check out the IRCA Web site at http://www.ircaonline.org