[IRCA] Re: Low-level IBOC on KTRB-860

KTRB is strong enough here that the cat makes a good receiver.  Radios and antennas are unnecessary.  They are 50KW at 20 miles distant and I am in their main lobe.  They are planning on changing their COL from Modesto to San Francisco, and putting another Modesto station on the air on 840.  I don't know how they're gonna work that one out with their signal strength.

Mike Hawkins

Robert Foxworth <rfoxwor1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have spoken with KTRB engineering folks in the recent past about IBOC
on KTRB and they say they are not using it. I get nice hiss >from them
on 850 and 870, and "hets" on 840 and 880. I question item #1 and they
deny any reason for item #2.

>Mike Hawkins
>Tracy CA
>
>Albert Lehr wrote:
>>KTRB-860 in Modesto, CA appears to be transmitting a barely
>>noticeable IBOC signal.
>>KTRB and KCBS-740 are about equal in signal strength here.
>>Tuning across KCBS, their IBOC sidebands are very obvious.
>>Tuning across KTRB, their IBOC sidebands are often buried
>>in the slop from their AM signal. The sidebands peak at about
>>851 and 869 kHz.
>>
>>Albert Lehr - Livermore, CA

Any chance this is someone else on 860 with ! IBOC and the
KTRB carrier is covering it up, but the sidebands are
sneaking past, on a relatively open freq? I don't know what
else would explain the weakness of the sidebands, relative
to a strong Modesto. It would seem to have to be a nonstandard
IBOC installation, or a defective installation, to me, or a second
signal.

Any chance of DFing the hiss, and KTRB, and seeing if the
null matches?

- Bob

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!