[IRCA] Re: A dumb question...even dumber answers gladly accepted

[IRCA] Re: A dumb question...even dumber answers gladly accepted

mark e mcmillan <w7mem@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 05:41:24 -0800 (PST) Michael Hawkins
writes:
> Why do I see the word "hi" spread randomly throughout any
> communications by DXers in anything they write? Is this a secret
> handshake or what?
>
> I see it all over the place. I haven't come down with this
> syndrome,
> so I'm just curious why I see it. Oh, what the hell.....hi!
>
> Mike Hawkins
>
> Hi Mike

HI in the Ham world is like a Laugh. Or HA HA! Or as I veiw it (Humor
Included)

73 Mark W7MEM
DN17NT
Idaho

Hi is used on this side of "The Pond" at the opening of a posting instead of "Hello." I do know a guy who is retired and worked at city hall who always starts with "Hello Barry." It always strikes me as rather formal. I also use the "hi" as an ending to a light hearted or comical remark. "I hope Santa brings me that new $2,000 radio hi."

73's

Barry