From: WWWR
To: DXFlorida ; IRCA ; NRC
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:03 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Wobbler, more weirder...

I've been reporting on the Wobbler signal - the one that sounds like wobbling sheet steel - most often heard by me on 930 and by others on other BCB frequencies, generally 1100 and below.

As I shut down my receiver late last night I noticed something strange about what is already strange.  The Wobbler seems to come in strong, even with the most minimal antenna.  Where other signals fade away as the antenna is reduced, the Wobbler really doesn't.

I've found I get it like gangbusters with a small whip.  Even a 6-inch piece of wire stuck in the center contact of the receiver coax connector brought the Wobbler in.  The S-meter is laying on the right stop with RF gain full up, only slight background signals down in the noise, and the Wobbler is wobbling away.  The more I crack up the active antenna gain, the more other signals come in, and the less overpowering is the Wobbler, staying pretty much at the same level it seems.

I've been listening to it like this all afternoon and evening so far, and the signal never seems to fade.  It isn't always there, but when it is, it always seems to be at the same strength.  The violence of the wobbling rises and falls, but the loudness of the signal does not, to any substantial degree.  Nor is there any appreciable difference between mid day reception and late night.

I admit I'm using some tuning tricks that enhance hearing the Wobbler - USB, narrow filter, detuning, even DSP - but still, it does not act like normal signals would, day or night.

To me, this argues against the notion of jamming.  Especially when you consider the only stations I hear during the day are Cuban, so what is there to jam?

Just thought I'd report these latest observations, for those who have an interest.

And as always, I welcome any thoughts, suggestions, or theories anyone would care to offer.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (South East) Florida
[JRC NRD-535D, LF Engineering H-800 & M-601,
  Quantum Phaser, ANC-4 noise canceler, GAP DSP]