[IRCA] Of Bubble Jammers, Geezer Men and Geezer Transmitters

At 03:14 AM 2/3/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Tonight since about 1amET the Wobbler has been so strong on 930 it is
>easily heard with no special effort at all.  So strong in fact I have
>heard two of them, one low in tone and loud, the other higher in tone and
>not nearly so loud but still audible without more than a good ear.  This
>is the first time I have heard two Wobblers going at once on the same
>frequency.

Curt,

I passed this over without looking it over critically. If you're hearing a
wobbler as an AM transmitter radiating a wobulated audio tone,
then you're probably hearing something quite different from the usual Cuban
bubbler.

I was a transmitter tech at IBB (runs VOA) 'til I retired in 2003. I was
also very much a fan (listener, but captive) of Martí as I
monitored Martí on the monitors (IBB runs RM, too) at the IBB transmitters
sites.

This matter of the Cuban jammer transmitters kinda flowed naturally from a
technical interest in Martí's doings and from having a
longstanding political interest in the Cuban-American Community down in Miami.

Anyway, I observed that probably the bubblers were probably stand-alone
transmitters. Reason is they radiate harmonics worse
than any other SW transmitters I've observed.

Also, it appears that the Cubans use a frequency synthesizer and put a
several-Hertz AF voltage on the frequency correction
buss. Reason for that observation is that I have noted bubblers come on a
Martí frequency same time the IBB transmitter was
tuning (15-minute tuning period prior to audio up). First another carrier
appears very close to the IBB frequency (low frequency
carrier beat) and the carrier is quite stable in frequency. Then suddenly
the carrier disappears and a bubbler is there.

I did the monitoring during the tune-up period during my own time at home.

But I happen to notice that I could hear 12060 kHz second harmonics of the
bubblers clearly beneath the second harmonic
(12060 kHz) of the Greenville 6030 transmitter AND RIGHT THERE IN THE
TRANSMITTER PLANT on an R8 receiver!!
That's the second harmonic of a 250-kW GE transmitter that's an old geezer
like me that is deficient in second harmonic
suppression.  [I should'a suppressed at least the Taylor Second
Harmonic...but killing teenagers is at least a misdemeanor
under North Carolina law].

(How many non-hams know what THAT's all about? How 'bout  Donnie Kasketguy?)

And that all comes from a 15-year Navy veteran, and everyone knows that
sea-going personnel have all sworn never to
let an untruth escape their lips!)

Boy, I'm clever today!

73 from Down East