[IRCA] Random Notes about the Grundig "Mini-200 World Radio"

[IRCA] Random Notes about the Grundig "Mini-200 World Radio"

Just some "random" notes about the Grundig Mini-200 World Radio.  I first
read about this
radio on the RadioIntel web page (http://www.radiointel.com/index.htm).  The
actual review
page is http://www.radiointel.com/review-grundig200.htm.  Since I already
had the Grundig
"Mini-World 100" radio, I decided to purchase the 200 from Restoration
Hardware.  I've
had the 200 for several months, but have always used it next to my computer
desk or
at the bed side.  It wasn't until I took it with me on a recent family trip
that I found out how
good this radio really is.

Driving along a dark stretch of road in East Texas means you pretty much
have to settle
for country music on the car radio.  Not that I don't like country music (in
fact, I love Bluegrass!),
I just wanted something different to listen to.  So, as my wife drove along,
I grabbed the
200 out of my tote bag, plugged in some cheapie headphones, and tuned to the
49 meter
band.

I was amazed!  The first station I heard was Radio Canada International with
a super signal!
I listened to "The World at 6" in its entirety.  Tuning around some more, I
happened to catch
Radio Thailand's English service, again with a super signal, with the latest
news of the
devastation caused by the Tsunami.  They listed phone numbers at the end of
the broadcast
for relatives to use to try to get info on their loved ones.  Finally, still
on the 49 meter band,
I listened to Radio Marti (I'm a big fan of Cuban music).

All of this on the "little" 200 with its whip antenna fully extended inside
the car.  Wow!

If you need a well-performing, inexpensive analogue radio, you may want to
check out
the 200.  I'm glad I did!

73 and GREAT DX,

Stephen H. Ponder

"Faith develops when you don't feel anything." - Rick Warren

n5wbi @ ev1.net