Re: [IRCA] DX Tip for WDXR

Patrick,

Thanks for clarification on this one.  I caught them without call letters, but with sufficient info to ID them.  The FCC site shows CINT and CKOM in Saskatoon, and the Ryerson Canadian history site shows CINT as on the air while CKOM has supposedly shifted to FM.  That was the basis for the calls I reported.  The Canadian archives show CKOM as 650 and 1250.  Maybe they're dual frequency, but I'll likely never get them on 1250.  I was able to pull them again this morning WITH a call letter ID, so I'm happy about that.

As an added bonus, I learned something new about my boatanchor R-388/URR that has me tickled.  I don't know if you know anything about the radio, but it has both RF Gain and Audio Gain pots.  I have always run RF Gain at maximum level and turned on AVC to prevent clipping.  It has always worked well and kept the knob twiddling to a minimum.  Last night, I turned off the AVC, requiring me to twiddle the RF Gain knob a lot.  BUT...I am getting significantly more gain across the board (not just on boomers) AND my amplified loop now has much more selectivity than it did before.  I also can use the crystal filters more efficiently now.  I don't know how much it will add to DX, but it will keep me from spraining my ears!

I sure wish I had your antenna (and a place to put it).  I only got to use a beverage once, and pulled 12-13 TPs that night.  Thanks again for the clarification.

Mike Hawkins
Tracy CA
finally out of the fog...for now

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
650 Canada, Sk, Saskatoon, CKOM, fair with CISL with ID "News Talk
6-50 CKOM" at 0558 EST 12/22. Haven't hrd this in a while. KSTE
off.(PM-OR)

Drake R8
1500' Eastern bev.

Patrick Martin