Re: [IRCA] WNTP and WXCT December 10-11 DX Test Results

Re: [IRCA] WNTP and WXCT December 10-11 DX Test Results

GREAT job Les.  I heard the complete test in NY and just e-mailed my
report to René Tetro, thanking him for his great DX test transmission.

Unfortunately I shut down and went to bed and didn't know of the WXCT
test in CT.  It's a station I can catch so I'm disappointed I quit so
early.  Next time I'll keep the message board on-line and hang around
longer.  hi

Again, great job and keep up the good work!

73's,  Ray Bauernhuber

--- Begin Message ---

Last Friday night generated one of the most exciting DX Tests in
recent memory, including an impromptu second test by WXCT in
Southington, CT during the "silent period" of the WNTP test!

While unannounced, this second test period was most welcome by
alert listeners. Fortunately, many were closely monitoring the
flow of e-mail on the list servers and were alerted to the
new test by this method. Look for a complete test from WXCT
on January 9th.

Here is a summary of the test results for both stations:

WNTP 990khz Philadelphia, PA TEST
Date: December 10, 2004 (Late Friday night into Saturday morning)
Time: 00:01 - 01:30 EST
Modes of Operation: 00:01 - 00:30 50KW Daytime Directional Pattern
00:31 - 01:00 5KW Non-Directional
01:00 - 01:30 Off Air to allow DXers in our region of the country to
DX other stations on 990 kHz.
Programming: Morse IDs, Voice IDs, Tones, Marching Band Music - Stars and Stripes Forever,
Washington Post March, Liberty Bell March (the old Monty Python Theme)

Among those who heard the test were Bill Harms in Elkridge, Maryland who was the first
to report that the test was running. Tom Janinski reported that the sweep tones
used in the test cut through the clutter at his QTH in Shorewood, IL.

Les Rayburn in Central Alabama heard the station with code and March music in
Central Alabama, while J.D. Stevens pulled them out from the northern
part of the state. Bill Dvorak in Madison, WI heard fragments of the code
along with Steve Francis in Tennessee. Neil Kazaross was deprived of his normal weapon of
choice, the beverage on the ground (BOG) array and instead logged the WNTP code ID's
on a TRF portable near Chicago!

Kaz reported that it was an easy logging after the switch to the non-directional
pattern. WNTP was another good catch for Robert Ross in London, Ontario Canada
who had a detailed log of the test.

After the station switched to lower power (7KW) but a non-directional
pattern some listeners saw their luck improve. Among those loggings
were Jim Renfrew in Byron, NY, Scott Fybush in Rochester, NY and Barry McLarnon in Ottawa,
Ontario (who can hear everything it seems!).

Another spectacular logging was that of Patrick Martin in Seaside, OR who
logged the test with those amazing beverage antenna's of his. Closer in
Ray Bauernhuber caught the test on a CC Radio from his home in NY. as
did Jim Hunter in Rossville, Georgia. Another Southerner who heard the
test was Col. RC Watts in Kentucky, who dug the signal out of the
classic music sounds of CBW, which dominated the frequency.

David Hochfelder in Highland Park, NJ heard them  as
did Tom Jones in Mason, NH. Tom reported that the sweep
tones seemed to cut through the noise best--we'll try to encourage
more stations to use these in the future.

Tom Kenny in Toms River, NJ reported, "Holy Cow! My first real DX test".
His excitement grew later as he also logged the test from WXCT.

Others who tried for the test without success or still have some reviewing
of recordings to do included Gerry Bishop in Niceville, FL who battled
strong signals from Texas and Tennessee, Willis in Old Fort, TN heard
sweep tones, but wasn't confident enough to call it a logging.

Mike Booker in Toronto heard bits of code and sweeps, but was
uncertain about calling it a success. He's got them in the logs
already from when they were still WZZD.

Tim Hall in San Diego tried for the test, but found the distance and
the clutter too much for success. Patrick Griffith near Denver shared
that fate. Blain Thompson was also disappointed in Fort Wayne, IN, along
with Nick Hall-Patch who tried for the test.

Powell Way forgot about the test until late, only to find the frequency
clobbered by WEEB in North Carolina...no joy in South Carolina. Phil
Greenspan tried for the test in MA, but got too much grief from
WALE to pull it in. Greg Myers and Robert Foxworth suffered a similar fate, listening
to kids tunes from Radio Disney in nearby Miami rather than the
hoped for test signals.

Even an AOR 7030 and a 150' EWE antenna couldn't help Mike Stonebridge
pull out the test from his home in St Isidore AB. Eric in St. Louis
also failed to pull in an ID. Bruce Portzer had similar bad luck
in Seattle.

WXCT 990khz Southington, CT TEST