Re: [IRCA] Loop Antennas

At 08:36 01/12/2004, you wrote:
When building a Loop Antenna, where do I solder the wires to the Variable Capacitor? When you order a Variable Capacitor, does it come with diagrams? I'd like to build one that I could connect to a variety of rigs, mainly a Drake R8B. I've looked at a number of Loop sites and I can't seem to find one that shows how to connect the wiring. Any help would be appreciated.

Bert

I quote Phil Bytheway from "A DXer's Technical Guide" 4th edition (available from an IRCA Bookstore near you):

"When the main winding is complete connect both ends to the variable capacitor, one lead to the frame of the capacitor and the other to the fixed plates. "

If it's an air variable (it's hard to get any other kind now), the frame of the cap is connected to the moving plates, while the fixed plates are generally connected to lugs on each side of the capacitor. A cheap multimeter will tell you all you need to know, by checking for low resistance between said plates and any lugs / frame etc.

Lot's of pointers on building your own loop in the tech guide. Ask for one for Christmas .

Good luck and 73,

Nick