Re: [IRCA] BAD NEWS, DXers! BPL Approved By Reckless FCC

Re: [IRCA] BAD NEWS, DXers! BPL Approved By Reckless FCC

Subject: Re: [IRCA] BAD NEWS, DXers! BPL Approved By Reckless FCC

> > I would also urge all DXers to write their elected representatives
(both
> > current and those who may be elected on November 2), and voice our
opposition to
> > IBOC and BPL. DXers need to be just as politically active as the
hams.

> Don't be surprised if the DHS bans Amateur radio
> and Shortwave listening as a threat to
> National security...
>
> Colin, cooling heels in Canada

Would not be the first time. There is precedent. During
World War II the hams were taken off the HF bands,
and did not get back on until November 1945. The only
activity was on the old 112 Mhz AM band on a service
called WERS (Wartime Emergency Radio Service)
which was something like Civil Defence/MARS, and
definitely not casual rag-chewing.

What would be interesting the next time would be
the different political climate today (a lot less
willingness, by many, to accept these restrictions,
compared to much better technical means of
finding those hams who don't comply).

Banning hams would be enforceable, but I think
an attempt to ban receiving would be even less
successful than any attempt to ban gun ownership.
Maybe in Canada, but I doubt it would go far here.

- Bob