[IRCA] TX/NM/OK Station News

>From DX LISTENING DIGEST 4-120 [FM & TV portions omitted here]:

The NWS relay on 1610 is still running in Amarillo, already audible
considerably west at I-40 mile 43. The robotic voice doesn`t know how to stress
a frequently used word, ``Panhándle``.

Passing thru Santa Rosa on I-40 made the following observations Aug 9:

NM Department of Transportation District 4 is still running the same old loop
with no useful info but hoping we arrive alive, on two frequencies, but not
synchronized: 1610 and 1680. The stronger one in the town is 1610, and I had
thought 1680 was further west where there is bridge construxion, but 1680 held
up further to the east; of course I could be fooled if the powers are not the
same. 1610 was gone by mile 290, while 1680 lasted until mile 297.
Approximately, on the MW-insensitive caradio.

The only local MW station, KSSR 1340, was silent, as it was more than two
months ago. I can only wonder if has been off all this time, or has had another
breakdown. Its FM companion on 95.9 was OK, still IDing as KSSR mentioning
*both* frequencies, ``The Lion``!

Kept an eye out for the old TIS-530 pole in Cuervo with solar panels, but no
sign of it anymore. 540 KNMX Las Vegas must have a big null around mile 294,
barely audible.

Tucumcari: I did discover an open carrier on 1610 in the Tucumcari area --- a
long forgotten TIS transmitter? Did spot a TIS-type pole by the road between
miles 335 and 336, but could not correlate with a signal peak as there was
still noise on the frequency as we went by it. That led me to scan the rest of
the MW band in case that was an in-band TIS. Another open carrier appeared on
970 --- slightly off frequency, but since this remained unchanged quite a
distance out of town, I had to conclude it was an ATS-909 birdie, never noticed
in Enid with local KGWA-960 (Glenn Hauser, NM and TX, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. KGYN 1210 is still in Guymon. At 1803 UT Aug 4 they started ABC
News 3 minutes late! And also had some 15 seconds of dead air between
commercials, etc. Their automation must be a wonder to behold (Glenn Hauser,
Texas County OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)