[IRCA] Confused about Mickey Mouse ;-) station ID...

[IRCA] Confused about Mickey Mouse ;-) station ID...

Greetings all,

As a new member of this forum I hope my questions are not inappropriate.

I am located in southeast Florida - between and 20 miles either way from
West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.  That puts me some 175 miles from
50/50Kw powerhouse WFLF, Pine Hills (Orlando), FL, the only station on that
frequency in the state.  With my new antenna system I get a pretty good
signal from WFLF before the afternoon thunderstorms kick in with lightning
crashes.

My confusion is, I swear they are identifying as WFLA vs WFLF.  I've heard
the announcement many times, but don't understand, since WFLA has been the
call sign of a Tampa station for quite some time.

I am even farther - 192 miles - from the real WFLA, 970 @ 25/11Kw in Tampa,
which loses the competition with a 10 mile distant 5/1 KW WHSR 980 Pompano
Beach.  As a result I can't hear Tampa to know what call sign they are using

Can anyone in the Orlando area confirm what I think I am hearing, or in the
Tampa area tell what they use as a call sign?

Both stations are owned by Clear Channel.  Tampa WFLA shows as Citicasters
Licenses but that is apparently Clear Channel too.  I am thinking they have
swapped call signs.  Still, swapping station ID's should be reflected in the
FCC database, shouldn't it?

On a different issue, is this the place to discuss things like antenna
systems and other equipment for BCB DXing, or is there a more appropriate
forum?

Thanks for your indulgence and comments,
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, FL

JRC NRD-535D
LF Engineering H-800 SkyMatch & M-601C AM Active Antennas
Radio Plus+ Electronics Quantum Phaser
JPS (TimeWave) ANC-4 Antenna Noise Canceller