[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs July 11-15

** CHINA. CRI, 9675, 1300 UT July 11, opening Russian hour with usual Chinese
ID, then into Russian, Mezhdunarodnaya Radio Kitaya (MPK). At the outset and
during the news I thought the announcers were not speaking with a Chinese
accent like so many of their English announcers do, but during some feature at
1344 there did seem to be some accent. This is a regular here, and I`ll bet
it`s inadvertently aimed USward. HFCC says:

9675 1300 1400 33,34 SZG 500 37 1234567 250307 281007 D CHN CRI RTC

So target is SE Russia, i.e. the Pacific coast and inland from there; azimuth
37 carries on to NAm.

[non]. On July 11, 9570 via Cuba was back on, in Mandarin before 1300, English
after. Again the modulation sounded better and could not hear any spurs
bothering RA here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LAOS [non]. Listened to Hmong Lao Radio at 1325-1335 Sat July 14 on 11785
via WHRI. Impassioned speaker, and judging from the frequent English terms
mixed in, about the political situation in Laos and the need for reform, to get
rid of the commies. I wonder if it was Vang Pao himself? Certainly qualifies as
a clandestine, tho this particular transmission is for the Hmong in Hminnesota
and elsewhere in NAm (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Another check for XEYU, July 11: before 1300 I could hear nothing
but RHC on 9600, no het audible. But at 1309 there was some weak Spanish talk,
news, audible on 9599.2 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Since July 7, RNE Radio 3 has replaced La Salamandra, one of our
favorites, Sat 18-19 UT on webcast, with El Guirigay, another musical program.
There was nothing on their website about it last week, but now there is. Not
clear if this is temporarily for summer vacation period, or permanent. What
does Guirigay mean? I wasn`t sure how to spell it until now. Googling, it could
refer to a dance form, and there are also homosexual undertones (as in Queer y
Gay??) but my Random House dixionary merely translates it as gibberrish,
uproar, babble. The show, not sure if a repeat or different, also airs at 18-19
UT Sundays. BTW, the real audio version of R3 was down today so had to go with
the inferior WM feed. Anyway, much more entertaining is Adventures in Sound on
KOOP Austin webcast, same time 18-19 UT Sat (Glenn Hauser, OK, July 14, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Made a point of catching VOT`s Saturday July 14 broadcast on the
webcast at 0300 UT Sunday July 15 --- at opening gave timecheck as 21:30 local!
Which means this is a playback of the 1830 UT `news` and rest of broadcast.
Also announced English transmission schedule, including 2030 UT between 2200
and 0300, still out of order, having merely crossed out the wrong `2330` time I
told them about. But they did say the DX Corner was coming up later, before
Turkish Music show.

The DX Corner axually ran from 0325 to 0335, so that`s :25-:35 or :55-:05 into
the broadcasts. Guess what --- it was indistinguishable from a mailbag. If this
is a DX program, what is the Letterbox show on Wednesdays?? All the YL host did
was read reception reports from listeners, including Tim Doyle in Australia who
is 61 but looks 50 despite having asthma since childhood, plans to sit for ham
exam this year now that CW is no longer required; also listeners from India,
Ukraine, Turkey, Pakistan, Australia, Japan. Mentioned that so far they have
received ten entries for the essay contest, reward for which is a 12-day
all-expense-paid tour across Turkey. Confirmed that show is biweekly and will
be back in two weeks, so we are making that adjustment in DX/SWL/MEDIA
PROGRAMS.

BTW, it was DXLD 7-020 where we had the laboriously compiled VOT program
schedule for this year, not 6-036 mentioned a week ago! And the folder this
time apparently covers the full year as it only shows two changes in features
for the second semester:

FRIDAY:
The Harem [July-Dec: New Dimensions of the Armenian Issue], Turkish
Album, From History // Turkish Capital

SATURDAY:
Outlook, From Our Correspondents, From History // DX Corner, Masters
of Turkish Pop Music

SUNDAY:
>From the World, In the Wake of a Contest [July-Dec: Skilled Hands],
Blue Voyage, Turkish on Radio, Turkish Music

But this is now wrong, as New Dims of the Arm Issue is on the Saturday/UT
Sunday broadcast, not the Friday/UT Sat; and the music show on Sat is called
just ``Turkish Music`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222