Re: [HCDX] Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition for 10 -11 July 2007

Radio Havana Cuba
Dxers Unlimited
Dxers Unlimited's mid week edition for July 10 -11 2007
By Arnie Coro
radio amateur CO2KK

Hi amigos radioaficionados around the world and orbiting planet Earth
aboard the International Space Station... you are certainly most welcome
to the mid week edition of Dxers Unlimited, coming to you from sunny
Havana, where practically every afternoon we are having to deal with
powerful thunderstorms. Our weather experts say that they are the result
of the daytime heating of the Earth , and in our particular location, an
area of very shallow sea, the Gulf of Batabano, located some 40 miles
south of the Cuban capital, seems to provide an enourmous amount of
water that
is transformed by the Sun's infrared energy into water vapor that  feeds
the powerful cumulus nimbus storm clouds that drift from South to North
into our metropolitan area .
And talking about summer thunderstorms that every year destroy a large
number of radios and other high tech solid state microprocessors
controlled equipment ...
Several Dxers Unlimited's listeners, worried about the summer
thunderstorms causing damage to a lot of sensitive solid state
electronic equipment, have recently sent e-mails to the ASK ARNIE
section of the program, with a very interesting question. They all want
to know if the fact that in the placewhere they live the electrical
distribution system is underground, that is, no overhead wiring is used,
their radios , computers, stereos and other equipment are better protected.
Here is the answer: NO, don't think that because electricity reaches you
from an underground distribution network you are better protected
against lightning damages.
Whenever a close electrical strike hits your immediate vecinity, you
know, the kind of lightning that shows very little time difference
between the light flash and the thunder, a tremendous amount
of energy is unleashed, including radio frequency generated by the
lightning discharge... yes you heard it right, radiofrequency energy, an
enormous peak of radiofrequency energy that covers a very wide range of
the radio spectrum... And , also, not to be forgotten, a huge high
voltage , high current spike that either attempts to reach ground , or
that goes from the ground up to the thunder cloud.

As a matter of fact, solid state electronics is extremely fragile , it
is certainly much less rugged than the classic vacuum tubes electronics
that preceded it.  I have heard recently from several experts , that at
this moment  there is a great concern among aircraft pilots, aviation
maintenance engineers and flight safety experts about the extreme
vulnerability of the new generation of aircraft equipped with solid
state electronics in general and computers in particular,  that may fail
catastrophically  in case of a direct lightning strike to the plane, or
even to an accumulation of static electricity when the plane is flying
near highly charged cumulus nimbus clouds .
At least two aircraft accidents that I have heard about may have been
originated by lightning hitting a brand new aircraft that shortly after
take off entered a thunderstorm in one case, and static electricity
accumulation in the other.
So amigos, play it safe, during the summer season be especially careful
with all your radios, computers, stereos, and as a good friend likes to
say, even the microwave oven, simply disconnect all equipment from the
power lines, and don't forget to also disconnect the grounding system
too. As Sherlock Holmes used to say to Doctor Watson, don't forget also
to unplug and disconnect all of your antennas... elementary my dear
Watson, elementary...

Si amigos, yes my friends, oui mes amis, you are listening to the mid
week edition of Dxers Unlimited, your favorite listener oriented radio
hobby program, coming to you from Havana, and here is our next item
...Closely related to the summer thunderstorm season... For those of you
living in areas where thunderstorms are frequent, an excellent accesory
to add to your shack is a lightning detector connected to an aural and
visual alarm, or even interconnected so that your equipment is
automatically shut down as soon as the detector picks up low frequency
radio signals coming from the nearby approaching storm. Such an
electronic device is not difficult to design, because Mother Nature
helps us by providing high intensity radio signals every time that a
lighting bolt strikes the Earth or jumps across to heavily charged
clouds. The radio signal is picked up by the alarm system, rectified
into a direct current that is then amplified and used to trigger the alarm.
The threshold level of the thunderstorm alarm system can be easily
adjusted to generate a warning signal well ahead of the arrival of the
core of the storm.
Again, the circuit of the thunderstorm warning alarm is rather
straightforward , a ferrite rod or a loop antenna, a low frequency wide
band radio receiver, plus the rectifier and control system that is then
used to trigger the aural and visual alarms by means of a mechanical
relay or a solid state switch.
If you live in an area frequently hit by thunderstorms, home brewing a
storm warning device or buying a commercially built one will certainly
increase the chances of your valuable electronic
equipment of surviving , because you will be able to disconnect it
before the storm is overhead...

Now here is our technical topics section, that today will be devoted to
recent developments in battery charging technology, that promise to
prolong the life of rechargeable batteries a lot. This
new generation of so called intelligent battery chargers make use of
sophisticated electronics and also charge the batteries in a very
different way than the traditional chargers. Be aware that some rather
new types of rechargeable batteries do require special chargers ,
especially designed for them. The lithium-ion rechargeable batteries
have to be dealt with very carefully , and they must only be charged
with the especially designed charger for them... because they can catch
fire and even explode if improperly charged. The use of the new
generation of battery chargers with voltage and current , as well as
temperature sensing can be extended to older , classic technologies with
many benefits. Standard nickel cadmium batteries when charged using
pulsed direct current of a certain specific pulse width, have stayed
alive well after their expected lifetime. The same applies to the higher
current density nickel metal hydride batteries .
Do remember to keep your battery chargers contacts very clean, closely
monitor them when in use, and don't forget to replace the alkaline long
or lithium long life batteries required by many devices to keep the
internal clocks and settings at regular intervals. There are some
instances of solid state radios that not only loose their settings when
the memory back up batteries die, but that even require complete
reprogramming if that happens...
Last but not least, if you happen to live in areas where tropical storms
or hurricanes may strike , keep your emergency batteries in good shape,
and whenever possible buy a small solar panel that can be used to
recharge the batteries after the storm is over, because as many of us
know very well, a huge tropical storm can leave a widespread area
without electrical service for several days or even weeks !!!
You are listening to Radio Havana Cuba, the name of the show is Dxers
Unlimited, and yes we do QSL, we verify reception reports sent to us via
e-mail to arnie@xxxxxx or VIA AIR MAIL to Arnie Coro, Radio Havana Cuba,
Havana, Cuba... Here is now our next item of this mid week edition of
the program...A VHF- UHF and Microwave radio contest is to take place
during this coming weekend... It is sponsored by CQ Radio Amateur
Magazine, and it usually provides VHF operators with very good
opportunities to add new countries and grid squares to their records. If
good sporadic E layer openings happen during the weekend, the contest
scores rise dramatically, but if the openings are few , then operators
must rely in much more sophisticated communications modes like meteor
scatter propagation or even Earth Moon Earth two way contacts, that with
present day technologies are much easier than how they were five or six
years ago. Using sophisticated computer programs and computer optimized
antenna arrays, meteor scatter contacts are now much easier to complete,
and single Yagi antenna stations, running output powers of less than 200
Watts are able to complete two way earth moon earth contacts with some
of the big stations that listen at the low end of the two meters amateur
band. Si amigos, yes my friends, VHF contests are quite different from
the ones that take place on the HF or short wave bands, they are
certainly more challenging  and luck seems to play a much more relevant
role, because if you are in an area where a nice sporadic E skip opening
happens, then you can achieve extremely high contest scores, even while
running a very modest station !

And talking about VHF and UHF propagation, let me add that TV and FM
broadcast band DXers are now enjoying the peak of the summer sporadic E
skip season, that already has produced some very nice double hop skip...
I was recently able to pick up an FM station in Colorado, at the same
time that another one from Texas was coming in, and that was a very
positive indication of a double hop sporadic E skip event. The Texas
station was very strong, while the one in Colorado was fading in and
out, but luckily at the top of the hour the station ID came through very
clearly... I was using my wide band 40 to 160 megaHertz broadband
antenna, that is almost omnidirectional, so the sporadic E propagation
was pretty strong . Normally TV DX and FM broadcast band Dxers use  two
  different antennas, a broadband omni as mine, and a rotatable log
periodic capable of picking up signals between 50 and 250 megaHertz. TV
and FM broadcast band Dxing is a lot of fun, especially when you are
able to record the signals on tape to show them to your visitors...
adding that in most cases they won't believe what they are seeing,
saying that those signals came to your set via satellite !!!

..