[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 15-16

** ANTARCTICA [and non]. I have seen three reports lately of LRA 36 being heard
before 1900 UT with no mention of QRM from Africa Number One, Gabon, 15475. Not
only May 15 at 1850, but also May 16 at 1827 I could get a weak carrier on
15476 on the DX-398 portable in the yard, but nothing on 15475. So what has
become of AN1? Come to think of it, have not heard it lately on 17630 around
1330, nor on 19160 harmonic. Is it still heard on 9580? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 15 May follow. Solar flux 77 and mid-latitude
A-index 5. The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC on 16 May was 3 (24 nT). No
space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours. No space weather
storms are expected for the next 24 hours (SEC via DXLD)

** COSTA RICA. TIRWR, 9725, emanating nothing but a roar at 1339 May 16,
presumably lost feed from Defunct Gene Scott. No such problem vi WWCR 13845,
inbooming with sporadic-E help (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. Africa Numéro Un not being heard on 15475 or 17630: see ANTARCTICA
[and non]

** LIBYA [and non]. I was monitoring today May 16 at 1405 UT and the Afropop
music distraction (there is nothing to jam after 1400), was actually on
17647.0. At 1344 it was also on 17647.0, presumably to jam Sawt al-Amal
clandestine for Libya, probably the weaker station on 17642.5. Frequencies vary
from day to day or even hour to hour, as SAA tries to avoid the jamming. The
music station stays on until 1531, and is believed to be transmitted from Gabon
on behalf of Col. Qaddafi (Glenn Hauser, Oklahoma, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND [and non]. UT May 16 at 0555 I found the 15 and 17 MHz band full of
signals, many of them Chicom jamming, either Firedrake, also audible on 18160
against Sound of Hope, or out-of-sync multiple audio feeds of CNR-1(?). Time to
try the 21 MHz, even tho it`s the middle of the night, as we are only a month
from solstice with minimum darkness over hi-latitude paths. Yes! At least two
signals were identifiable, BBC in English on 21660, which is Thailand at 25
degrees, and Chinese on 21690, which would be either VOA via Tinian or jamming
against it. This is a summer thing, as there was certainly nothing unusual
about flux or K-index at the time, which would normally not even support 21 MHz
in the daytime (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 15 May follow. Solar flux 77 and mid-latitude
A-index 5. The mid-latitude K-index at 0600 UTC on 16 May was 1 (5 nT). No
space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours. No space weather
storms are expected for the next 24 hours (SEC via DXLD)

** U K [and non]. Don`t pine over missing the Eurovision Song Contest; BBC
Radio 2 Listen (no longer Listen Again) player has the full 3-hour show as they
covered it disrespectfully, but that`s only audio. Click on more about the show
and you get a page linking to videos of each entry, along with lyrix or more
about the country: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/eurovision/2007/contestants/
However, I could not get Albania`s to play and the ones I did watch, Denmark,
UK and Switzerland, had horrible video quality. Will this last on the BBC
website longer than one week? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. CVC La Voz, 17680 via Chile, May 16 at 1403 had some basic
English lessons, ``Move Your Tongue``, involving a $53 plane ticket to London.
How long ago was that recorded? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.