[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 25-27

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, 15265 via UK, Nov 25 at 1359 made a one-minute
deadair pause followed by 4 minutes of talk, 1404 back to music, rap in English
mixed in, but some cuts we don`t remember hearing before. However, at 1424 was
playing the bi-lingual one noted before, girl singer with heart throbbing,
``you are my only one``, etc. Scandalous (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. 4910, VL8A, once again on very late, instead of having switched
to 120m at 0830 Nov 25. That`s fine with me, as hearing any of the NT stations
on 2 MHz is quite problematical here. At 1331, 4910 was in ABC hourtop news,
then sports. 1336 ID as ABC Alice Springs, then mentioned ABC Local Radio and
Radio Australia for ``Sunday Night`` program. Fair and in the clear (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Nov 26 at 2314, 5050 has fluttery Vietnamese language signal. Per
Aoki, that would be Guangxi FBS, Nanning, 15 kW at 225 degrees, not bad; but
Aoki also has a conflict:

5050 GUANGXI FOREIGN BS 2300-0100 1234567 Vietnamese 15 225 Nanning CHN
10811E2247 GUANG
5050 VOICE OF STRAIT    2225-2400 1234567 Chinese    50 140 Fuzhou CHN
11924E2606 VOS L b07

And I suppose VOS could have been in a Chinese dialect mistaken for Viet, but
surely both of them are not really co-channel. Breaking the tie is EiBi,
showing Guangxi only, but am still not convinced. HFCC is useless for such
Chinese domestic(?) services, showing neither.

Whatever, nice to hear FE on 60m after sunset. Moot at 2346, as 5050 wiped out
by WWRB on early; see U S A.

Also had something in Chinese audible on 4800, Nov 27 at 0008 with CODAR. Per
Aoki, this is CNR1 via Geermu (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. Checking again for R. República`s mystery frequency, 5954.1
? altho not heard a few days ago, just jamming, on Nov 26 I tuned in at 2223
and found it on the air with continuous lite vocal music, splash from WYFR
5950, no announcements 2223-2233+, and at 2245 when a het with something on
5955.0 was increasing. This music was nothing like RR programming, e.g. on 6135
at the same time, either talk or lively Cuban music, but it must be the same
transmitter as on off-frequency, previously carrying RR after 2300. At 2256
lite jamming began to be heard mixing with the music; 2258, more jamming, less
music, still het. Jamming dominated as usual after 2300 but could still detect
carrier on 5954.1. At 0004 Nov 27, YL talk presumably RR audible under jamming,
and not // RR on 6155. Need people to monitor 5954.1 as early as possible,
maybe from 2200 during the musical prélude for any clews as to origin (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. Conclusion of R. Cairo English to Europe, 6250, somewhat different
from previous log. Nov 26 at 2240 M announcer was closing with goodbye, and
tinny national anthem; 2241 switched to tone for a semiminute which was
well-modulated unlike the preceding programming! carrier off at 2242* with its
characteristic pulsing of 5 or 6 times before going completely off.

DX Mix News, Bulgaria Nov 26 published an updated R. Cairo operational
schedule, showing that the site switch on 6290 occurs at 2300 UT, instead of
0000. Nov 26 I was too busy monitoring other frequencies at 2300, but as I
previously noted, the long overlap was not heard until 2350 when there was a
subaudible het of maybe 20 Hz, Cairo vs. Cairo! Undermodulated audio in Arabic
from the first site, ABZ to WEu at 315 degrees, underneath open carrier from
the second site, ABS to NAm at 325 degrees, which was not clear from the ABZ
carrier until 0002:40 Nov 27, also undermodulated, and distorted. So we wonder
what else in that DX Mix schedule may be incorrect (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** ETHIOPIA [and non]. DW Amharic service via Rwanda may have moved from 15660
to 15620. Nov 25 at 1420 found nothing but noise on 15660, despite 15665 WHRA
which was not too strong this Sunday, but on 15620, German language lessons. I
think the jammers already found it, as some noise mixed in. At 1510 recheck,
15620 was in Russian, which is DW via Sines, Portugal from 1500.

Aoki and EiBi have a 1330-1500 gap in DW`s usage of 15620, so that would be a
good fit as a new 14-15 Amharic frequency. However HFCC also has this:
15620 1330 1430 40E,41NW WOF 250 82 1234567 281007 300308 D DIVERSE G DWL DWL
1898
But that`s not for Ethiopia, instead Afghanistan, in Dari & Pashto per Nov 21
update at http://www.bclnews.it/b07schedules/dw.htm

And since I did not check between 1430 and 1500 I can`t be sure what I heard
was really Amharic staying on past 1430. I have a hard time recognizing Amharic
just by listening, unless there is an ID starting with ``Yih ---``. Can someone
suggest some other common and distinctive words to listen out for? The same
could be said for Pashto, which may have been what I was really hearing.
Possibly as a counter-jamming tactic, DW has swapped the Pashto and Amharic
frequencies? Europeans, please check this out on Monday.

Jumping thru DW website hoops, I finally came to this Amharic frequency page:
http://www2.dw-world.de/static/language/amharic/amha_program.pdf
But according to its dating, it is at best, A-07 info showing 11645 and 15410,
and the ``1999`` and ``2000`` in it worry me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

No, - 15620 is free, Woofferton 15620 deleted from Nov 11, and replaced Nov 9th
by Moosbrunn 13855 kHz in Pa/Da to Afghanistan. 73 wb (Wolfgang Büschel,
Germany, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Nov 26 check: nothing audible on 15660, 15640, but definitely DW Amharic on
15620 at 1427, no jamming heard, but noise could be there obscured by local
high noise level. 1432 DW theme and ID, so it is the almost-hour broadcast
starting at 1400, ex-15660. Since I am no longer hearing it on 15660, and
propagation favors Rwanda, I suspect 15620 is now Rwanda, but Wolfgang Büschel
says they are still on 15660, 15640, 11645 as well as 15620, so that makes four
frequencies instead of the original two for this now jammed transmission.

However, after 1500, 15620 came back on with DW in Russian as previously
scheduled via Sines. Trouble is, after initial ID at hourtop there was dead air
for two minutes; then they fished around for program feed, brought up something
(DW or BBC?) in English news at 1502, fading it out and back in; finally found
Russian at 1503, joined in progress. Anyhow, this means I can`t rule out the DW
Amharic service earlier on 15620 as also via Sines now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY. DW Amharic and jamming: see ETHIOPIA [and non]

** GUATEMALA [and non]. 4780, R. Coatán, Nov 26 at 2348 bible reading in
Spanish, but also with fast SAH rippling the frequency, besides CODAR. Nothing
else known anywhere on 4780 except Djibouti, so I wonder if they left their
carrier on very late. At 0007 recheck the SAH was gone.

R. Verdad, 4052.5, Nov 26 at 2346 with timecheck 14<18, hymn; fair
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. TDF DRM, 17870-17875-17880, again being heard at its previous
level, so suspect the antenna is once again toward NAm rather than Eu, Mon Nov
26 at 1523, but is it still RFO Guyane programming? O, this was the special for
Ecuador as in DRM DX for this date only:
1330-1930 11/26 17875 260 Ecuador 150 TDF F French Montsinery French Guiana
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Still looking for more from XEXQ 6045, but nothing audible Nov 25 at
0630 or 1330. Nor Nov 26 at 1425, 2215.

But XEXQ was audible on 6045 when rechecked Nov 26 at 2249, classical music
with co-channel in Chinese, i.e. VOA Udorn, 30 degrees during this hour only
and/or Chicom jamming. 2300 Spanish announcements but could not make them out,
with increased QRM from CRI Sackville in English on 6040; 2305 classical music.
Fair at times depending on amount of splash from 6040. 0038 recheck more
classical, now ACI from 6040 CRI Sackville in Chinese (not English as in Aoki);
could not detect co-channel from IBC Tamil, ESE from Wertachtal which recently
moved to 6045 during this hour only. But prime is not the best time to listen
to XEXQ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PRIDNESTROVYE. 6240, Radio PMR/DMR, monitored off and on Nov 26-27 while
checking other things. Tune-in 2325 in French, 2330 changing into German, 2344
concluding German mentioning ``Republik Moldaus`` (Moldau? not to be confused
with the river in Czechia), and off at 2345*. Figured that was all, so did not
check at 0000, but ran across 6240 on again at 0024 and once more in French,
and another switch to German at 0030-0045*. There was occasional QRM de big ute
data bursts lasting a few seconds. I assume that there is English M-F at
2300-2315 and 0000-0015, French at 2315-2330 and 0015-0030, German at 2330-2345
and 0030-0045 Tue-Sat. Mike Barraclough, England was monitoring at the same
time and did hear English at 2300 and 2400. Christopher Lewis first reported
English at 2300 on Nov 22, but I have missed it so far. Station mentioned in
French/German that it broadcasts to Europe and North America. At this hour
surely for NAm, a newly revived service, and another odd case of one country
broadcasting to another country in a language native to neither. Why don`t they
broadcast in Romanian during the final quarter hour? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. 5900, at 0005 Nov 27, warbling carrier, unable to determine
language, but VOR Portuguese scheduled from Moscow site. Why don`t they put
this poor thing out of its misery? See previous report in DXLD 7-130; ex 7300,
not 7400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, 6055, English to NAm, UT Tue Nov 27 at 0041 was ending Radio
Waves. This week`s radio song was ``Mama Radio``. Host Justin Coe gave 6-figure
P O Box, new e-mail address of english @ rtve.es and ``keep the TV off and the
radio on`` till show ended at 0042:30. Well, it was almost time for me to watch
Countdown at 0100 on MSNBC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN [non]. Surprised to hear Swedish at 0037 Nov 26, on 6100, Sackville,
which starts RCI at 0100. No such 0030 transmission in Aoki or EiBi, but is in
HFCC, apparently a late addition by R. Sweden to the B-07 schedule (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Had been hearing China [q.v.] on 5050, but Nov 26 at 2346, wiped out
by WWRB with big band music warmup/fill, on much earlier than licensed *0000.
Still BB music at 0007, piano music at 0022, their only programming worth
listening to (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WTJC, 9370, monitored Nov 26 at 2317-2323, but no Star Spangled
Banner, unlike a few days before, just Xmas music, and fading into noise level
by 2325 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. While tuning back and forth between 5954.1 and 6045, kept coming
across carrier on 5984.0, before 2300 Nov 26 and afterwards making het with
English at 2310 on 5985.0, which would be BBC Thailand during this hour only.
Altho 5984 was stronger, never could pull any audio from it; also slightly
unstable as het pitch wavered, and as rechecked at 2327, 2353. Somewhat suspect
is the squealy Cuban transmitter on 5990 with CRI relay, but nothing to match
on the hi side, 5996 at 2353 recheck. After 0001 Nov 27, 5984 was still on and
so was CRI in Spanish on 5990. Searching my DXLD archive, nothing at all comes
up as ever reported on 5984 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs