[HCDX] WCXH DX Test Final Report

WCXH DX Test Final Report

     Alas, so much of life is about timing. The weekend that the WCXH test
was originally scheduled to run had some great indices and propagation
conditions, and those lucky enough (and I do mean lucky) to hear the test
running later than at the published time heard it quite well. Sadly, the
rescheduled test came on the heels of a geomagnetic storm, making the
morning still somewhat auroral with elevated A and K indices. Most DXers
heard little more than WBBM and an assortment of Spanish language
broadcasters, including yours truly. Still, there were those who managed to
pull this interesting station from Maine out of the mix.
     An odd situation has arisen with Morse code heard on 780 kHz in the
Northwest, but the signals thus far have not matched up precisely with what
closer listeners were hearing. The jury is still out on this one and the
guys out west are waiting to hear from Allan Weiner on their inquiries.

     Here's the list of listeners who have indicated positive or tentative
reception:

Jim Chenard		Blairstown, NJ
Saul Chernos	Burnt River, ON, Canada
Marc DeLorenzo	South Dennis, MA
Michael Diers	Huntington Station, NY
Russ Edmunds	Blue Bell, PA
Nick Hall-Patch	Victoria, BC, Canada
Bill Harms		Elkridge, MD
Patrick Martin	Seaside, OR
Barry McLarnon	Ottawa, ON, Canada
Bruce Portzer	Seattle, WA
Walt Salmaniw	Victoria, BC, Canada
George Santulli	Lovettsville, VA
Brett Saylor	Central PA
John Sgrulletta	Mahopac, NY

     As I alluded to earlier, most of the guys on the West Coast reported
tentative reception. If we get any clarification on their results I'll
include that info in a future report.

     A great big thank you goes out to Allan Weiner for the great test.
Perhaps we can persuade him to run another test this season with hopes for
better propagation conditions.

     Thanks also to everyone who tried for the test, and congratulations to
those who logged it. We continue to receive positive responses to our
requests for tests. Be sure to check the DXTESTS.INFO Web site frequently
and listen to the BTC Podcasts for news and late-breaking developments. Good
listening to all.

Jim Pogue
IRCA/NRC Joint Broadcast Test Committee Coordinator
Memphis, TN