[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 20

** AUSTRALIA. Tnx to the VL8s for keeping the 60m band interesting and
unpredictable. Nov 20 at 1329 I found R. Rebelde, Cuba, 5025, with heavy
co-channel QRM in English, the two at about equal levels and nearly zero-beat
--- could not tell whether fading was propagational or a slight SAH, maybe
both. Soon IDed as 105.7 ABC Darwin, 1330 news theme and news at the top of
their wacky hour. This signal was much stronger than the several Indos audible
on 60m, and would have been quite listenable if in the clear like 4910
sometimes is when it fails to shift to 120m at 0830. By 1455, VL8K Katherine
was atop Cuba, which by now is fading down anyway. Final check at 1511 found
ABC still good with little Cuba left, mentioning a Pavarotti CD, 1512 ID again
as 105.7 ABC Darwin. Why do they keep IDing only for this little FM station
with very limited range around one city, when they have worldwide coverage on
SW? Isn`t that at least worth a mention on the air? Surely back in Darwin they
are not unaware of the NT SW relays. Think small! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Just as I tuned in Firedrake on 7300, Nov 20 at 0700, it went off in
usual top of hour break for monitoring of Sound of Hope --- I could not hear
it; maybe FD did. Also had Chinese on 4900, Nov 20 at 1407 while I was getting
Indonesia elsewhere on band; presumably V. of Strait (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. On R. Rebelde, 11655, Nov 20 at 1345 heard part of a promo for that
evening`s Mesa Redonda, which they said would include Dan Rather. This usually
airs at 2330 UT via RHC on 6000, 9820 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
see also AUSTRALIA for QRM on 5025

** ETHIOPIA [and non]. Nov 20 check for jamming against DW Amharic: at 1408,
15660 was audible with DW but also with continuous noise, same as on 15640
where nothing else was heard; nothing audible on 11645. DW`s Amharic service is
a bit strange; the news actualities leading to voice-overs all seem to be in
English, not German, and at 1410 the news was about Myanmar, not Ethiopia. 1412
ID as ``Yih Deutsche Welle Radio`` and theme. At 1415 I thought I detected some
other jamming modes under the noise on 15660 via Rwanda. By 1449 the noise
jamming was gaining here over DW.

As for Ethiopia also jamming VOA Amharic, BBC Monitoring says three of the five
frequencies at 1800-1900 are jammed, and also Oromo weekdays at 1730 on same
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GERMANY [non]. DW in German, so of course it can`t be from Germany: Nov 20
at 1450 on 15335 via Sines, running about a second ahead of 15275 Kigali when
rechecked at 1510 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Nov 20 an above average day for 60m Indonesians. 4605 RRI Serui
was by far the best signal. What power does PWBR ``2008`` assign to this now?
Last year it was only 500 watts, but since then  has been widely heard and has
got to be much more than that. All I ever heard on 4605 today was ``island``
music as I tuned back and forth, starting at 1333, with CODAR adding to the
beat; a very long pause between cuts at 1340; and music again at 1405; maybe I
missed some news on the hour.

Others also heard with non // programming, mostly music: at 1333 4750 (mix
China?) and 4870; 1405, 4750 and 4790; listening to 4790 at 1457 when it went
off abruptly amid music; that frequency was a tad high (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Geophysical Alert Message # Solar-terrestrial indices for 19 November follow.
Solar flux 70 and mid-latitude A-index 4. The mid-latitude K-index at 1200 UTC
on 20 November was 4 (66 nT). The mid-latitude K-index at 1500 UTC on 20
November was 6 (132 nT). Space weather for the past 24 hours has been moderate.
Geomagnetic storms reaching the G2 level occurred. Space weather for the next
24 hours is expected to be moderate. Geomagnetic storms reaching the G2 level
are expected (SWPC via DXLD)

** JAPAN [and non]. Not jamming per se, but CRI just happens to have a Russian
broadcast on 5965 at the very same time that RCI Mandarin is relayed via
Yamata, 1500 UT. As noted Nov 20 at 1459, NHK multi-lingual IDs including
English, overridden by CRI ID in Chinese, IS, opening Russian, which is at 55
degrees to E Sibir. At 1514 one of them was playing El Condor Pasa, in either
case, incongruously (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. It`s so recognizable, the Tiganeshti transmitter which puts out as
much roaring noise as it does RRI modulation. Nov 20 at 1349, there it was on
15105, as scheduled in English at 1300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBOH, 5920, distorted as usual, Nov 20 at 1501, also with buzzy spur
around 5927; I can`t be positive this buzz was from WBOH, but they have
previously had such problems with identifiable audio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Two R. Free Asia frequencies from Tinian were coming in well,
Nov 20 at 1502, 5810 in Mandarin mixed with Firedrake, and 5860 in Korean free
of jamming, so should be good for the northerners listening secretly
undercover, after midnight. Also on 6140 central Asian language at 1504 with
VOA theme, news of Pakistan. Scheduled as Uzbek via Tinian at 1500-1530. That`s
a pretty long haul and I wonder why they don`t use a closer site such as
Iranawila (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs