[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 19-20

** COLOMBIA. Marfil Estéreo, 5910.0, free of co- or adjacent-channel broadcast
QRM at 2350 Nov 19 with nice lively ballads, 2353 timecheck for 6:52, only one
sesquiminute off this time, and ID; another ID voice-over music at 2400. There
was however, more often than not, some lite pulsing ute QRM on the high side,
somewhat evitable (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA [and non]. R. Prague, 7345, Nov 19 at 2327 giving complete
transmission schedule in English, arranged by target area, and followed at 2330
by English, while the 2300-2327 broadcast is scheduled in French. So maybe the
language of the 3-minute schedule summary between broadcasts matches the
transmission which follows rather than the one which precedes, despite the fact
that relays such as WRMI wind up broadcasting 3 minutes of irrelevant French
after 27 minutes of English. Then I checked 6000 at 2330 and found R. Praga in
Spanish via Sackville as usual colliding with RHC in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. 6290, Nov 20 at 0001 still had two carriers from two Radio Cairo
sites colliding with heavy SAH; 0003 only the distorted one was left with
Arabic talk and music alternating (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ETHIOPIA [and non]. WHRA was gone again from 15665, Monday Nov 19 at 1427,
so it must be a Sat/Sun thing only, and no longer QRMing DW`s new Amharic
frequency via Rwanda, 15660 --- and there was no jamming audible on it this
time either. DW`s other frequency, 15645 via Sri Lanka, did have noise jamming
on it and no DW audible at 1447. At first I thought 15660 might have some
co-channel audio again, but could not detect any at 1447 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. KCBS, 9665, mostly-noise transmitter audible here not only
mornings but evenings, such as 2315 UT Nov 19; bits of audio mixed in. I can`t
imagine why the Korcoms keep this piece of garbage on the air 22 hours a day.
Does not even serve a jamming purpose as nothing else in Korean on 9665 or
neighbors, per Aoki/NDXC. China does use 9665 several hours in external and
domestic services (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. We had Radio Waves, the not-really-DX program on REE, on the schedule
as UT Wed 0024v on 6055, but Wolfgang Büschel found an English program schedule
as of last March which showed it Monday on Eu/Af service, so repeated UT Tue to
NAm. Checking it out UT Tue Nov 20, interminable sillyballgame report was
airing instead, but RW finally started at 0032, and yes, they are still just
playing music, loosely related to radio. This time: Popa Chubby, blues singer
who had just appeared in Madrid on European tour, with ``Real Thing``, which
the host said was more anti-TV than pro-radio. After some searching, I found a
Youtube version from Paris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPpSRB__sl8
Doesn`t do anything for me, but there you are (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** TURKEY [and non]. V. of Turkey, English to NAm on 5960 is not working too
well; Nov 19 at 2345 Turkish music badly squeezed between the Dentro-Cuban
Jamming Command, grinding on 5955 against non-detectable R. República from
secret site --- have they moved? And RHC Creole on 5965 with some splatter
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I can no longer say I never hear a US SW station, government or
private, playing the Star Spangled Banner. Ran across it on WTJC 9370, Mon Nov
19 at 2320, choral version, and including second verse, ``O Thus Be It E`er``,
because that asserts ``In God is our trust`` until 2323 and immediately into
some ordinary hymn. Certainly an odd time to be playing the NA, maybe just a
fluke and not repeatable, but check again at this time of day (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. RNV CI via Cuba, 13680, Nov 19 carrier was already on air
at 2255 with squealing the only `modulation`, worst when tuning to the edge of
the signal. 2317 recheck was in ``Contacto con los Diexistas`` mailbag, from
Japan, Cuba, then explained SINPO; and UTC as the same as ``Tiempo Civil`` or
``GTM`` as I`ve heard them do before, ending segment at 2320 with a gmail
address, I think just rnv@xxxxxxxxx? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** WESTERN SAHARA [non]. Since I didn`t hear R. Nacional de la RASD the day
before at all a few minutes before 2400, checked 6300 earlier Nov 19 at 2333
and it was there; tried to hear Spanish, but brain would not lock into Spanish
mode, and decided it must be Hassania, rather than Hassania-accented Spanish.
At 2401 recheck, however, definitely in Spanish ending ``Opinión`` commentary
saying that Spain should be part of the solution to the conflict. 0002
sign-off, anthem played by off-key band to 0003 Nov 20 and carrier stayed on a
while longer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs