[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 11-14

** ALBANIA. Since my latest mention about undermodulation, R. Tirana noted with
much improved modulation level, such as Nov 12 after 0330 on 6110 it was up
too, maybe a bit too much with slight distortion; Nov 12 at 1534 on 13640 with
news and press review (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. TDF DRM, a few days ago centered on 17870, is back on
17870-17875-17880, at 1441 Nov 13, and still weak here, as redirected to
Europe. Now that the programming is (exclusively?) from RFO Guyane, it should
be more interesting to listen to. Strangely, no one has commented on this
change in the drmna yg, except on Oct 26 Brendan Wahl explained the then
absence from 17875 --- they were testing DRM on 6175 in the daytime for local
reception, and might also try 60 and 90m (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** JAPAN [non]. I keep hearing NHK Warido in Japanese, even tho I am not
supposed to in NAm. VG signal on 11935, Nov 13 after 0300 with quite a variety
of music from pop to classical. It sure would be nice if someone would
translate their complete Japanese program schedule for us, so we can
concentrate on the music shows. This is Bonaire at 0200-0400, 170 degrees
intended for SAm. 6145 well heard at 0706 Nov 13. This is 35 degrees from
Yamata for eastern Siberia, but unfortunately keeps going to NAm. 9535, 55
degrees from Yamata to Mexico/CAm, with WNAm in the way, was already on at 1455
Nov 13, not supposed to open until 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. I keep seeing publicity stating that Frecuencia RM, the VOR Spanish
DX program is at 0120 UT Wednesdays to Latin America. But that was the summer
timing. Surely like everything else it is now one hour later. I finally
confirmed this myself Nov 14, when at 0120 hard news and commentary kept going.
6240 via Moldova was by far the best frequency. Then I switched to the live
stream via the VOR-2 link at publicradiofan.com and kept listening for the rest
of the hour. No DX program, but there was a 4-minute mailbag segment at 0143.
At hourtop the program summary for next hour did not mention Frecuencia RM,
just like it is missing from the LAm programming on their website, so I
suspected it was gone! But I let it play and Frecuencia RM did appear at
0222-0237, so it`s still there, a full 15 minutes, and an hour later. Most of
it was taken up by a segment from La Rosa de Tokio, namely an old Argentine
comedy show from Radio Provincia de Buenos Aires, which I would have needed to
be a native to understand and get anything out of (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. I often tune into the call to prayer at 1500 when BSKSA opens
15435; I can appreciate it pro arte as it means nothing to me religiously. I
was listening to this Nov 12 when the signal vanished at 1505. At first I
suspected an SID, but other signals remained audible on the band (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. Amigos de la Onda Corta on REE confirmed at one of its new times, in
progress at 0349 UT Monday Nov 12 on 6055, mentioning the program name. Starts
at 0330 or 0335 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SWEDEN. Altho R. Sweden started B-07 on 11550 at 70 degrees toward Asia and
Australia for English at 1430, this changed already Nov 4 to 9400, which has
even less chance of being audible in NAm for those of us who would still like
to hear English at that hour. Only a trace of a signal here Nov 13 at 1452
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 12035, Monday Nov 12 at 1354 after cultural news, starting ``
Hues & Colours of Anatolia`` show about something next to the Bulgarian border.
Last week I misIDed this as ``Views & Colours?`` --- Aren`t hue and color the
same thing? Announcer talks too fast with many unfamiliar names, a failing of
many SW stations trying to convey their culture, or show off their English
proficiency.

It may seem counterproductive, but the only solution, lacking a visual text of
the talk, is to pause and spell out the names. 1405 went on to the long series
about the famous Turkish pianist, whose name I also didn`t catch and can`t
recall without looking it up. It seems as child prodigy she was discouraged
from playing Brahms, but grew to love his music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. WRMI`s schedule continues to be confused. Yet another Sunday, Nov 11,
I tried (on webcast, of course) to hear the Brigade 2506 show in English which
is scheduled for 11-11:15 am ET = 1600 UT on 7385. But instead there was Radio
Prague at 1600-1630 (concluding with transmission schedule in French ---
why???), and at 1630, World Baseball Today.

It seems the guy doing the cricket show has converted it to a slightly more
popular SBG! It really is about the world, including Asia and Latin America,
not just baseball in the USA. He seeks commercial sponsorship, on WRMI, which
he claims is heard just about everywhere, but meanwhile runs PSAs such as about
``mannequinism``, usa.gov. He also offers a word doc text of the show free by
subscription or mp3, worldbaseballtoday @ hotmail.com  This entry also replaces
World Cricket Today: http://www.wrmi.net/program.php?id=79

At 1646, a gospel huxter, from Free Reformed Churches of North America, BC
address, Banner of Truth. So everything seems to be an extra UT hour later. O,
the Brigade 2506 show in English finally came on at 1700 UT, not mixed with
something else. And World of Radio at 1715, but defective with almost
continuous ringing sound, especially during my pauses. 1745 DX Partyline. 1800
frequency change announcement from 7385 to 9955, and into Radio República. Jeff
White has been away in Europe, but should be back in Miami now to look into
this.

On a previous occasion, at least on webcast, two programs were heard at once
for several minutes, as previous programming was running late, but WRN started
on time. This was at 1701-1706 UT Nov 7, with Aventura Diexista running late,
and Korero Pacifico from RNZI. After a frequency change announcement, only WRN
was heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ confirmed on reactivated 17495.1, ex-18910, Sunday Nov 11 at
2120, preacher with long pauses, giving New Mexico address. Annotated program
guide says it`s 7 dpw, 1800-2200: ``Program IDs as "The Lord of the Spirit
Radio Broadcast". Female speaker notable for monotone delivery of scriptural
material. Usually six half-hour programs in three hours. (6/6/03)``

17495 is reduced carrier USB, with little modulation detectable on LSB. Quite
weak compared to e.g. WYFR on 17535, CR on 17850 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I have been meaning to try to recatch the VOA produxion music test I
heard a few weeks ago on 15480, a Tuesday before and after 1500. This week, Nov
13, I did not remember to tune in until 1505 and nothing was there (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. It`s a nightmare; can`t get away from the droning voice of
Harold Camping all over the dial, and not only from Okeechobee. I was trying to
listen to R. Australia on 5995, Nov 13 at 1402, but there was Camping
underneath, altho with much different modulation quality than we hear from WYFR
itself. Not // 17760 checked at 1442. Sure enough, YFR relay is overlapping RA
for one hour at 1400-1500 from Pet-Kam, DV Russia, 5995, 244 degrees but plenty
of signal way over here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I tried for the WFAW 940 test and think I may have heard it. Listened
from 0659 to 0710 UT or so Nov 12 and at 0700 sharp heard a few notes of the
Star Spangled Banner, which these days is unusual altho it might have been a
Mountain zone station signing off at local midnight. Apparently not the whole
anthem, unless there was a quick fadeout. Then some sweeps. That was it; no
voice or code ID copied, as 940 was dominated by a norteña station playing
music, believed to be XEYJ Nueva Rosita, Coahuila, as I caught the J in the
call (not XEQ dominant any more!), and couldn`t null it out, being close to
collinear in opposite direxion from WI [and there was another US station at
right angles]. Not expecting a QSL on such sketchy info, but Wonder if the SSB
at 0700 matches anyone else`s log. Using a DX-398 with internal antenna only.
73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST, et al.)

Yes I heard that too. I'm 2/3 through my recording ...
0055 CST sweep tones? weak
0100 CST sweep tones. Star Spangled Banner
0101 CST sweep tones (John Wilke K9RZZ, Milwaukee, WI, IRCA via DXLD)

Hi Glen[n], I think that has got you a QSL for that report. It sounds honest to
me and a lot of people only copied the sweep tones. Thank you for the report.
Send me an address so that I can get a QSL to you. (Ernest (Ernie) Swanson,
Engineer NRG Media LLC W6355 Eastern Avenue Fort Atkinson, WI 53538-9335
Serving: Fort Atkinson, WI Ottawa, IL Reedsburg, WI Dixon, IL, to gh, via DXLD)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15645 and vicinity, oscillating jamming is back as heard in late
A-07 when Tensae Ethiopia Voice of Unity was on 15645 after 1500. But this was
Nov 13 at 1433, and Tensae is supposedly on 11900 for B-07. The jamming was
also bothering Greece on 15650. Weak, but the oscillations seemed to be
centered around 15647 and 15643; could not detect whatever on 15645 they were
targeting. Another Ethiopian clandestine, if not Tensae? Nothing on the TDP
schedule there now.

BTW, skywave jamming would work best inside Ethiopia if it were transmitted
from abroad, but who would coöperate in such nefariousness? I don`t know much
about the Ethiopian political situation, but I believe most of the clandestines
are based in the US, despite US government support for the regime, which
according to a recent documentary coöperated with `extraordinary rendition`
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Be a better pen pal.