[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 7-8

** ALBANIA. Anomalies monitored from R. Tirana: Nov 7 at 1528, on 13640,
carrier at S9+15. No modulation until 1531:45, music joined in progress, wrong
program? 1532:15 cut to English opening with schedule; program summary
including European Integration show, which is for Wednesday.

Nov 7 at 2106, 9915 just barely audible (but I have a high local noise level on
this band), while audible better on // 7430 intended for Europe --- however,
not in English but Albanian, news!

Nov 8 at 0350 on 6110, continuous vocal rock music, no announcements heard, not
even at sign off. Music and carrier ran until 0401* overlapping BBC Arabic
which came on between 0359 and 0400, heavy sub-audible heterodyne (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, 6060, Nov 7 at 0624 in English, low modulation and very
distorted, audible only at peaks. Meanwhile, // 6000 was OK, as was 6180, very
loud as usual tho with some distortion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH. TDF DRM test remains weaker than before, and center has
shifted down 5 kHz, so now it covers 17865-17870-17875, Nov 8 at 1455. Kai
Ludwig found a German posting that indeed they have redirected the beam toward
Europe instead of NAm:

Apparently beam change since here in Europe strong signals were reported at the
same time. Btw, programming was RFO Guyane:
http://forum.mysnip.de/read.php?8773,451822,page=23

And the DRM schedule checked Nov 8 indeed shows this, but on the wrong
frequency:
1300-2000 daily 17875 35 Europe 150 RFO Guyane French Montsinery
However this transmission usually starts later, ends earlier than times shown,
and has been M-F only (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDIA. AIR VBS, 9870, Nov 8 at 1344, YL DJ in English with ``Hello, very
good evening``, but then back to Hindi (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** IRAN. Nov 8 at 1337, I found solo man singing in uncertain language in // on
9790 and 9835. The only thing that fits is the Urdu service of VOIRI (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [non]. NHK Warido, R. Japan via Sackville, 11705, Nov 8 at 1420 in
What`s Up, Japan? had an interesting report about the Soy Sauce Summit ---
seems that consumption of SS is declining in Japan, altho SS is now found in
half of America`s kitchens. Efforts are underway in Japan to promote SS, which
has many different varieties besides the black Kikkoman stuff we are familiar
with (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JORDAN. R. Jordan, 11690, again noted in French instead of English at 1525
check Nov 7 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU, 9599.2, Nov 8 at 1332 with news from Radio Francia
Internacional; good signal, only lite het at the moment. This is on the R. UNAM
(AM) schedule at 7:30 am, lasting less than a semihour, followed by music to
hourtop when AM & FM simulcast (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH AFRICA. 17860, Channel Africa IDs and IS, which includes chirps of the
old bokmakierie as in Radio RSA days, Nov 8 at 1456 preceding Swahili service,
poor. After timesignal at 1500, I switched to 17770 where the English service
was better. There shouldn`t be that much difference, as 17860 is 250 kW at 19
degrees while 17770 is 500 kW at 20 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTNENING
DIGEST)

** SPAIN. The gimmick on Clásicos Populares from REE in the 1400 UT hour
weekdays, best on 17595 seems to be listener participation, rating various
pieces of music, or choosing which performance is best. Nov 7 at 1430 they were
playing the fourth performance in a row of the same aria; next day, when some
distortion marred the signal, there were different intermezzi the audience was
supposed to rate (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SRI LANKA. I feared that the WEWN mixing product on 11510 would totally
block VOA during Border Crossings in the 1500 UT hour, as it did when first
noted; but Nov 7 at 1524, it only partially blocked, as VOA was audible mixing.
VOA 9760 via Philippines is always much better but with separate Special
English programming (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. English lessons frequently punxuated by doorbells (as in
American usage), Nov 8 at 1410, on 15675, Southern Sudan Interactive Radio
Instruction; see my report in 7-122 when it was on 15650.

Now in the SENTECH schedule:
1400 1430 15675 250 246     East Africa       Unknown
246 meaning Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Cf. Steve Lare`s report in DXLD 7-133 of similar programming at this hour on
15390 via Armavir/Krasnodar, which we thought was also SSIRS. This time I
checked 15390 and a weak signal did not seem to be in parallel, so is this
actually something else? 15390 is scheduled daily, Merlin/VTC broker. However,
SSIRI is known to use a variety of different transmitter sites, also UAE (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. BBCWS relay, 11675, axually on the air early, rather than late! Nov 7
at 2048 found the open carrier already on, and at 2058 B-B-C- chimes. This
means Greenville is no longer using one of the same transmitters as for Hausa
at 2030-2100, without sufficient time to return, now scheduled on 9815 and
15185 M-F.

VOA Music Mix, 15580 Greenville, Nov 7 at 2105 starting Classic Rock show, on
Thursdays. This time the transmitter was on the air before 2130. Keep it up
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ 7415 I found to have suppressed lowersideband, instead of usual
DSB, November 5 around 0415, and still the case Nov 8 around 0345. Will Martin
heard this explained on the Lumpy Gravy show: the regular 7415 transmitter is
down for repairs, so the 5110-CUSB transmitter has been retuned to 7415. I
assume this means 5110 is currently not on the air at all, and the signal on
7415 is probably not as strong as usual (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. AFN, 7811-USB (did not measure exactly), Nov 7 at 0636 with report
from Pentagon Channel, but audio cutting out; same problem in next item, a
medical report. If it were not for such problems, AFRTS would be very useful in
aggregating all these little features from various networks, removing
commercials, and running them one after another (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** ZANZIBAR. RTZ, 11735, Nov 7 at 2051 with local music, 2055 devotional in
Arabic, 2059 brief YL sign-off, NA lasting only half a sesquiminute, and off.
This seems like one of the most exotic places we can hear on SW without much
difficulty (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Encouraged by IRCA C & WNAm reports that trans-Atlantic MW was
hopping, I spent half an hour monitoring on the less noisy porch with ATS-909,
0326 to 0400 UT November 8. Did find a number of carriers. Best with traces of
audio was 594, but too many possibilities to hazard a guess. Also detected
carriers on 558, 567, 585, 684, 693, 873, 882, 891, 945, 1134, 1215, 1305,
1557, 1629. Some good possibilities were wiped out by IBOC from KOA, WHO, KFAB,
KMOX, WOAI at least. Was surprised to detect carrier on 1134 despite KMOX-IBOC
noise. Then I read IRCAns reporting that by that hour, the TA reception had
largely vanished. 73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 6250, just as I tuned in, Nov 7 at 0622, heard a few words of
Arabic(?), then it went off. Cairo is the only broadcast station known on this
frequency, but nowhere near this time of day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. On 7733.5 kHz, I encountered a big signal, Nov 7 at 0639 with ME
music, slightly unstable carrier producing warble with BFO on, and seemingly
mixed with utility QRM. 0643 song ends with birds chirping, applause, Arabic
announcement mentioning akbar, M&W interchange, 0647 back to pop music in
Arabic. Kept listening but unfortunately dozed off and missed hourtop ID if
any; 0706 M&W news headlines punxuated by stingers, 0715 music.

I often start my bandscan of 7 MHz downward at 7780 WYFR or 7811 AFN, and glad
I did or would have missed this. Sounds like a major station, and too strong to
be a likely spur; no // found lower on 7 MHz. Could it be a semi-harmonic? Not
unless there is something on 15467.0. If this wasn`t a one-shot, should be
easily audible in Europe, perhaps also in evening.

BTW, there is one other station registered above 7.7 MHz, Emirates Media,
Dhabayya UAE, on 7770 at 2200-0100, 500 kW at 300 degrees to NW Africa, but I
have seen no reports of it (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1381, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Next night, Nov 8, did not stay up until 0700, but no sign of it by 0602 nor at
earlier hours such as 2050 Nov 7. Noel Green, England, also looked for it the
following evening and morning, but not heard. We should keep patrolling this
frequency range for a reappearance; next time it might well be on some other
frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com