[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 1-3

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 6110, 0130 English to NAm, fair with no jamming Nov 2 at
0139; main interference was not from 6115 or 6105, but from 6100, Sackville in
Spanish splatter, aimed our way at 240 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** CHINA [non]. CRI is beside itself now in the 1200 Chinese hour, as noted Nov
3 at 1257: on 9560 via Sackville, and after a few syllables of satellite delay,
on 9570 via Habana. After 1300, the latter continues in English, as the
Sackville relay for B-07 is on 11885 instead of 9650. Perhaps China was
uncomfortable being sandwiched between two KBSWR South Korean relays on 9650
until 1300 and after 1400? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. HCJB`s long-obsolete frequency announcements in Spanish have
survived yet another seasonal transition into B-07! Nov 2 at 1314 on 11960, the
same old recording claimed they were on 11760 and 9745, while in fact they have
been for years and continue to be on 11690 and 11960 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUATEMALA. R. Truth, Chiquimula, in a band of its own, 4052.5, Nov 3 at 0520
with spiritual ``Nobody knows the trouble I`ve Seen``, 0522  preacher in
English with Spanish accent (Amílcar himself?), and shortly into contrasting
sacred music, Handel? The 0500-0600* hour is in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEYU, 9599.3, Nov 1 around 0630, good with classical music, but gone
again at recheck 1300. Just before 1300 I was hearing no het on Cuba, so
figured UNAM had vanished. Nor was it audible around 0140 UT Nov 2, altho the
MUF may have dipped too low by then. Still missing around 0530 and 1330 too.

After barely 24 hours back on the air, XEYU 9599.3v remains silent as of Nov 3.
In checking the frequency, I found RHC on 9600 until 0459 Nov 3 with a song
about Habana, // 9550 which continued in Spanish. So it would be pointless for
XEYU to broadcast before 0500 anyway. At 0507 I found 9600 occupied by
something in an African language. That`s VOA Botswana in Hausa until 0530.
After that, 9600 should be clear for a while, altho there are various other
broadcasters scheduled during the 24 hours, including more from Cuba in the
mornings, 1100-1300, as well as 0000-0500 (Sunday 2330- with Esperanto), per
RHC website, which must always be viewed skeptically. Since XEYU is not
frequency-agile --- except for slight variations --- it would be charitable if
RHC were to cede 9600 to XEYU, but you could hardly expect them to if Radio
UNAM is not really committed to daily broadcasting (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND [and non]. RNZI`s latest schedule change to 9870 for DRM at
0659-1258 is bad news for Vividh Bharati Service from India, and those who
would listen to it, which a few weeks earlier moved to 9870. Nov 1 at 1250
there was no trace of VBS here under the DRM noise, and at 1254 there was also
QRDRM to something on 9865. DRM went off at 1259* revealing 9870 VBS and 9865
VOR IS. May we expect yet another abrupt QSY by NZ to resolve this situation?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** POLAND [non]. PRES, 9450 via Wertachtal for English at 1300 may make it to
ENAm, but not to CNAm; Nov 1 at 1301 I could hear only a trace of a signal on
this frequency. And no better Nov 2. Of course, if Warsaw cared about being
heard in NAm, they would use some of their time on Guiana French for that
instead of beaming Polish back to Europe --- or use Wertachtal at a suitable
time and frequency for NAm, like VOR does now on 6155 at 0300 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN [non]. REE via Costa Rica really has some interference problems now:
Besides Vatican collision on 5965 after 0400 as previously noted, Nov 3 at
0512, it had severe ACI from CRI English on 5960 via Sackville; CRI is on here
from before 0400 until 0600. REE`s 9675 had even more severe QRM at 0508 from
WYFR on 9680 with CBS Taiwan in Cantonese. This is aimed right at us, 315
degrees from Okeechobee (and equally ruins Channel Africa on 9685, English hour
at 0500). Even REE 3350 had problems, at 0523, intermittent ``running water``
utility QRM. None of this would be quite so bad if REE had any punch in its
modulation, but all its Cariari frequencies are very undermodulated and lo-fi,
compared to Noblejas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. R. Thailand`s best chance to be heard here during English seems
not to be the new NAm service direct in the evenings --- are we too far west
for the ENAm service and too far east for the WNAm service to make it? --- but
the 1230 UT broadcast on 9810 to SEAsia/Australia which happens to be on a
clear frequency. Nov 1 at 1258 check, 9810 was poor with flutter, and adjacent
to Cuban jamming against nothing on 9805, that being a residual until provoked
by Martí, and not as full-force as it would otherwise be. The 1400 R. Thailand
broadcast on 9725 doesn`t have a chance unless Costa Rica be off (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. VOT, 15350, Turkish music, and not much talk, most enjoyable around
1330 Nov 2. Now during that hour we have a music choice of Turkey 15350, Solh
15265, Saudi Arabia 15380. Too, 15350 had a much better signal than VOT`s
English service opening at 1330, which this date was poor on 12035, inaudible
on 11735. 15350 is scheduled 0800-1400, 294 degrees.

Now instead of R. Solh on 17700, we hear Die Stimme der Türkei, until 1325 or
so Nov 3. Perhaps I just missed their 14-dayish DX Programm on Samstags. Much
better reception for this than we get in English from 1330 on 12035, 11735.
Besides 1230, the other German broadcast from VOT is at 1830 on 7205 per ADDX
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. Altho it doesn`t always appear on the BBCWS online skeds for W
Africa, 7160 via Ascension at 0300-0600 provides good reception here. Among the
non-African programs it provides are: Sat 0332 Discovery, 0430 The Interview;
Sun 0332 Instant Guide & Over to You, 0532 Reporting Religion (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Just after I publicized 15580 as excellent new frequency for VOA`s
music hour at 2100, it`s gone, Nov 1 at 2105 check. Not a trace. Left a
receiver on frequency, and carrier finally came on at 2131:30, but off and on a
few times, then stayed on and program joined at 2133 in hiphop music, so I
wouldn`t be listening to it on Thursday, anyway. They must be having a lot of
trouble keeping those old transmitters going at Greenville, but more schedule
changes are in store next week.

Somewhat surprised to encounter VOA news in English at 0138 on 7200, so not to
the Americas, and not Special. This hour from Morocco is scheduled to cover
Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh and all the countries in between. But nor
after March! IBB announced Nov 2 that the Morocco site would be closed, and
returned to the Moroccan government (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com